Overdue Cat (i Think)

pregnantprincess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.
I am new to this site and new to cats.
Got my daughter 2kittens for her birthday last year, they are indoor kittens as we live right next to a very busy road/motorway.
1 of them escaped in the last week of May, not knowing anything about cats was so pleased we had found her unharmed, we didn't realise she was pregnant till about 2 weeks ago when she started eating everything in sight and started showing. She is a very small cat naturally. So from reading other posts on here I am now aware that she is overdue and I need to create a safe space for her. (Not as easy as it sounds in a house with 3kids (5,6&7)and school hols aswell!) If she goes much longer I am concerned that we are going on are first holiday in 5years in 2 weeks and I am not sure what to do now. Talk about bad timing.
Any advice, any thoughts welcome.
Should we take her and the babies with us?
Worried they will bond with cat sitter while we are away?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have a good cat sitter, its prob best to leave them. Place is important for cats.
Good if the cat sitter visits you already now some.

Cats manage a little too long pregnancies better than humans, so its a comfort.

What they manage badly is too early delivery. Prematures are at best a fight uphill...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
P pregnantprincess

She is not overdue if she mated at the end of May. She may have 7-10 days left, so should have the kittens before you leave.

Do NOT take them with you.

The cat sitter will need to make sure mom has plenty of dry kitten chow, wet food, water, and fresh litter every day. Moms need extra nutrition while pregnant and nursing.

If the other cat interferes, mom and kittens can be put into a separate room of their own.

Your children should not handle the kittens much at all until they begin weaning to soft foods around 5-6 weeks old.

You should plan to spay both your adult females. One now and the other when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats

They will not bond with the pet sitter, and will be happy to see you upon your return. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you made an appointment to spay your other female?

She may get very hormonal when the kittens arrive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pregnantprincess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will be making an appointment when we get back from holiday. Don't get paid again till then! They are indoor cats so not too worried.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be able to find a shelter that will spay/neuter at a low price. That should not be an issue these days. Some vets in private practice will charge an arm and leg, but if you can find a shelter, you should be able to fine one that will charge around $35.00 for a spay if I am no mistaken? And, neutering for a male is even cheaper.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.
I am new to this site and new to cats. ...
1 of them escaped in the last week of May, not knowing anything about cats was so pleased we had found her unharmed, we didn't realise she was pregnant till about 2 weeks ago when she started eating everything in sight and started showing. She is a very small cat naturally. ...
Worried they will bond with cat sitter while we are away?
Have you made an appointment to spay your other female?
She may get very hormonal when the kittens arrive.
I will be making an appointment when we get back from holiday. Don't get paid again till then! They are indoor cats so not too worried.
An unspayed cat in heat is more likely to escape, especially if you have a cat sitter that isn't on their game at all times while you are away. You might think it bad timing to spay one cat before you leave on vacation, this is true, but you might also risk another sort of bad timing if a 2nd kitty is pregnant upon your return if you don't spay.