Over vaccinating?

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Juli just had a wellness exam, with a new vet at a cat clinic. The vet has really amazing reviews, and was recommended by my sister. I have a good feeling about her.

Anyways, I wrote out Juli’s vaccinations history and gave it to her. She looked at it and said “too many vaccines! Too many.” I recently got Juli up to date with her vaccines at a low cost clinic prior to finding this new vet.

Here’s her vaccine chart:
E7C05202-277F-4ED8-9794-C43894290704.jpeg

Juli’s DOB is 6/1/2013, so she just turned 8.

The vet said for both the rabies and FVRCP, even though they’re 1-year shots, I don’t need to get another one until 4/1/2024. For the FeLv, i can get the next one on 6/1/2022, and then Juli will be set for FeLV for life.

I was surprised since none of my other vets have ever had this view about vaccines. Now I’ve been kind of worried if I’ve over vaccinated Juliette. Cats have such tiny bodies, I hate the thought of unnecessarily over vaccinating them. 😾

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (16+ yo) no longer gets any vaccines, including rabies. She is indoor only, although she does have access to a screened patio.

Her last annual FVRCP-C vaccine was done 2014 when she would have been around 10+ yo, and the next year the vet said that was really pretty much 'vaccine overkill', especially given her age. Her last rabies vax was done in 2016, and when she was due for her 3 year booster in 2019, the vet said given her current age/environment he thought we should forgo the shot. He said we can always re-address it later if need be.

I have heard of many vets moving the 'annual' vaccines to a 3 year schedule, especially those who already do rabies every 3 years.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Your vet is current in her thinking about vaccines. Of course, it is your decision, but there is a large body of opinion that pets have been over vaccinated. My dog has had no vaccines in years except rabies because that one has to be proven to get a license.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feeby (16+ yo) no longer gets any vaccines, including rabies. She is indoor only, although she does have access to a screened patio.

Her last annual FVRCP-C vaccine was done 2014 when she would have been around 10+ yo, and the next year the vet said that was really pretty much 'vaccine overkill', especially given her age. Her last rabies vax was done in 2016, and when she was due for her 3 year booster in 2019, the vet said given her current age/environment he thought we should forgo the shot. He said we can always re-address it later if need be.

I have heard of many vets moving the 'annual' vaccines to a 3 year schedule, especially those who already do rabies every 3 years.
Your vet is current in her thinking about vaccines. Of course, it is your decision, but there is a large body of opinion that pets have been over vaccinated. My dog has had no vaccines in years except rabies because that one has to be proven to get a license.
That makes me feel even better about my vet. I’m not anti-vax at all, but I much rather do the least possible with vaccines. Especially since Juli is mostly indoors, except for when she goes into the backyard which is enclosed. She can’t escape.

What’s done is done I get that, but when she said “too many vaccines” it worried me. I definitely never want to over vaccinate!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t have my indoor-only cats vaccinated for rabies any more, even though it’s required by my county. When the vet brings it up, I just tell him I’ll bring them back. He gets what I’m doing. BUT…

Several years ago, I lived in a house that was built in 1910, and we had bats that would get into the house and fly around desperately trying to get out. Lily walked into the living room one morning with one in her mouth. I was very glad they were all current on their rabies shots at that point. My current place was built recently so it’s less likely for a bat to get in.

One of the reasons they want you to get rabies shots, besides protecting your fur friend, is for your own protection. If you have guests and your cat bites someone, you could be liable. Not a problem for me because no one could get within 10 feet of any of mine! They’re scared of everyone but us.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats are not big on approaching anyone either, so I don't worry about bites. However, the bat story is certainly valid and even in the foothills above LA there are rabid bats which dogs will often pick up in their mouths when they find them in the yard....and then you are off and running as far as rabies goes. Bats right now are the only vector here.

For years many people gave vaccines yearly to animals and while there are anecdotal stories, I can't say that it did anything bad to any of my pets.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are always indoor, so we (we = I & Vet discuss) choose to not give the FELV or FIV vaccines. New cats/fosters are always snap tested for FELV/FIV before being brought into the house and mixed with the other cats. The only exception to the test, is we test one kitten in a litter of young tiny ones and also test mom if we have her.

The FELV vaccine has a higher chance for FISS or Feline Injection Site Sarcoma, so my cat's Vet did not even carry it in 2001. They would send you to another Vet or clinic if you wanted to receive that shot, then continue treating your pet. It is important to give that shot in the leg, not in the interscapular space (scruff area).

I always stop a Vet Tech or even the most experienced Vet when I see a needle come out.
* What are we giving?
* Where are we injecting it and why there?
* How long is this good for?
I also watch to make sure the records of batch and location of injection are recorded.
And yes, the Vet office I use is OK with this, because they want us to be that involved and informed.

The Rabies vaccine should also always be given in the rear lower leg.
Your Vet may feel there are benefits to rotating legs (avoid the scruff).

As my Vet office says "If you get a vax sarcoma, you can amputate a leg, it is much harder to amputate a neck". Yes, there are FISS cancer treatments less than amputation, yet it can recur and require amputation.

We moved to three year shots in about 2001, yet we committed to not use that as an excuse to skip annual wellness exams.

Vaccines and sarcomas: A concern for cat owners | American Veterinary Medical Association (avma.org)
Vaccine-associated feline sarcoma: current perspectives (nih.gov)

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The current AAHA/AVMA recommendations are, after the first series and a booster after a year, "no more often than once every 3 years". So I think your vet is up-to-date!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Juli just had a wellness exam, with a new vet at a cat clinic. The vet has really amazing reviews, and was recommended by my sister. I have a good feeling about her.

Anyways, I wrote out Juli’s vaccinations history and gave it to her. She looked at it and said “too many vaccines! Too many.” I recently got Juli up to date with her vaccines at a low cost clinic prior to finding this new vet.

Here’s her vaccine chart:
View attachment 386931
Juli’s DOB is 6/1/2013, so she just turned 8.

The vet said for both the rabies and FVRCP, even though they’re 1-year shots, I don’t need to get another one until 4/1/2024. For the FeLv, i can get the next one on 6/1/2022, and then Juli will be set for FeLV for life.

I was surprised since none of my other vets have ever had this view about vaccines. Now I’ve been kind of worried if I’ve over vaccinated Juliette. Cats have such tiny bodies, I hate the thought of unnecessarily over vaccinating them. 😾
I do all vaccines now, mostly at the recommended durations which are mostly 3 years now. I went for a few years without and I now feel it is not safe and not worth the risk. Vaccine immunity does not last forever for these vaccines and it is different for each one.

Rabies should be done. Merlin bit me and it was reported by my doc to the county because I had to get an antibiotic. He eventually became an indoor cat. Even though I had tnr him the year before, he still had to be quarantined for 14 days. Fortunately the county did not contact me maybe because I wrote in the form he had been previously vaxed with the one year but it was not uptd, it had just expired. Had they contacted me, they could have taken all of my outdoor cats away including him and demanded to quarantine him. In my state it is required by law. Even if your indoor pet bites or scratches someone, if rabies vax is not uptd they can take your kitty away to quarantine them. Even if uptd the kitty still has to be quarantined but at the discretion of ac it can be at your home. If a potentially rabid animal gets into your house, such as a bat, etc. the same thing applies. For people who are incapacitated, asleep, children and animals if exposed to a bat indoors they are considered exposed. You need proof of an uptd rabies vaccine.

To further complicate things the tnr clinic where Merlin was vaxed had an error in their records and never provided me with a valid rabies certificate at the time. I requested one and they refused! They tried to claim there was a different description of his appearance in their records on his original tnr which was their error. Needless to say I would never use their services again. Even when you tnr a cat make sure they give you a proper rabies certificate, not the little piece or paper that says neutered etc. and any vaccines/ treatments.

You think something like this will never happen, but it can and does. That was one of the most stressful times I have lived through and I have been through a lot. Never again.

Last edited:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might have been said already but you can get your kitty tested for antibodies. Like for FVRCP, there's VacciCheck. VacciCheck Titer Testing - Biogal

How long antibodies last might might differ a lot from one cat to the other. But to give you an idea, my Hima found me in early 2018/last months of 2017 and back then she must have been at least 9-10 months old. Apparently someone did vaccinate her before me, who knows when. I didn't get her vaccinated since and we did a VacciCheck again this year and she still has the highest level of antibodies for Panleukopenia and Calicivirus, and mid-level antibodies for Herpes.

I don't think FeLV vaccine is necessary for an indoor-only cat if you won't get another cat. Rabies vaccine has legal consequences in some countries and risks. You can discuss with your vet whether an antibodies test is available and would be valid for potential legal problems too.