Outdoor pet heating pad?

Charity355

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!
I feed any strays that come to my house. I have also made a diy shelter in the patio area and change it up for summer and winter. It is starting to get cold here and while I have “winterized” the shelter I feel like it is still not going to be warm enough especially when temperatures get to freezing or below. Last year one of the cats who pretty much lives here got what seemed like a cold her eyes were gooey and her nose was runny but this completely cleared up once it got warmer. I felt terrible for her so I am trying to prevent that from happening to her or any of the others that come again.
Does anyone have any recommendations on an outdoor pet heating pad that you do not plug in and is battery powered or something? I do not want any fire hazards for obvious reasons. I already have a self warming bed type of thing but am looking for something that will keep them more comfortable during these cold months.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be careful with microwave packs because they can burst and spill chemicals everywhere if bent or damaged. An electric blanket might be an option but be careful to keep the wires covered. Straw is probably your best bet though. It works for farm animals.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be careful with microwave packs because they can burst and spill chemicals everywhere if bent or damaged. An electric blanket might be an option but be careful to keep the wires covered. Straw is probably your best bet though. It works for farm animals.
I used only the pet safe microwave heat discs. They are not the same as the pouch packs that are used to keep food warm. These have a hard plastic shell and are made for outside pet use.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If anything with wires are used, I would make sure to securely duct tape the wires to the floor and wall of the enclosure to prevent any possibility of chewing. If the cats are older and aren't into chewing strange new "toys", I'd feel safe using this option. :)
I have used straw and it seems to be very warm, but if it gets damp in any way, it needs to be changed immediately. I used to bed my horses in straw in the winter, and they were so cozy and warm when it was cold out. But it's very heavy to move if it gets wet!