Outdoor momma issue...

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have searched on the Cat Health forum for anything similar to this issue to no avail...

The pregnant kitten I rescued, that had 4 kittens 07/02/2020, will not go to the bathroom inside (pee and poop) until she is miserable. I had been taking her outside to do her business but now she will barely leave the porch, she seems afraid to be out. She has not used the litter box but chooses the bathroom (where I'm housing them for the time being) sink which I've lined with a plastic bag with pine litter.
This morning, after 24 hours of not relieving herself, she went in the sink but there were spots of diluted blood on the sheet I have laid out in their house.
I tried contacting a vet to get her in but because of covid, they are completely booked for the limited hours they are open. I even tried for a televet appt without success.
What I would welcome advice on is...
1. Diluted blood... UT issues due to holding urine? Female spotting? (I've included a photo) I want to mention, she is eating but not drinking very much (outside, she used to only drink from the bird bath). She is nursing and taking care of the kittens and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort until she's 'held it' for too long.
2. How can I help her get accustomed to and use a litter box? I tried putting some of her waste materials in a litter box with clean litter, I tried putting her in the litter box when I knew she really needed to go... neither worked.
I also want to say that I have other cats in the house that she smells. She will give a little guttural growl when they walk past the closed door.
I understand that none of the advice is to take the place of a vet but there is so much 'real life experience' on this site, I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you, in advance.
Paula
20200728_113147.jpg

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for your rescue! If you can find powdered Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR), Not Hartz. Mix it with water and pull out a saucer for her. She might find it tempting. Plus feed her wet kitten food. It will provide her with the extra calories and protein she needs to nurse her kittens. Plus the canned food will provide her extra fluids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I've been giving her wet kitten food and dry kibble, plus a real fish and shrimp canned cat food. I've got the KMR, for when the kittens get weaned. Great idea! I'll try it for her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Try putting some of the dirt from your yard where she usually pees in the litter box. Outdoor cats sometimes take a while to get used to using a litter box with regular litter in it.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My boy just got a UTI from holding on as his undiagnosed arthritic pain was making him not want to squat. So I think you're right about the UTI and of course that's going to need antibiotics. I think that's the main issue as she must feel so miserable, poor girl (it's wonderful that she has you on her side :) ).
Norachan Norachan is knowledgeable about helping outside cats to adjust, so her recommendation is probably the way to go to try to stop the holding on. I'd also give her at least two options as many cats won't pee where they poo (or vice versa).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that she needs to see a vet and they need to do a urinalysis. Holding urine or not drinking enough fluids can cause a UTI, which, left untreated, can turn into a kidney infection. There can be diluted blood in the pee from a bad infection.

However, the blood spots on the bedding cause me to wonder if she has a uterine infection. Occasionally a bit of tissue or placenta can be left behind, or there could be a tiny perforation in the uterus, that results in infection and bleeding.

Both a UTI and a uterine infection would likely cause pain and fever. Is she exhibiting signs of fever, pain, or lethargy? Furthermore, if she has a uterine problem that does not heal it would require a spay surgery to remove it, but antibiotics would be tried first.

She may have one or the other or both issues going on. I suggest that you call around and find a vet who can see her right away, as this is an emergency. Bleeding this long after having kittens is indicative of a problem. Take the kittens to the vet with her.

I agree that you should fill a litter box with sand or dirt for her as that is what she is used to. She might be more comfortable using it if it is in the tub behind a door or shower curtain.

She sounds like she also has anxiety about leaving her kittens long enough to do her business and when your other cats sniff at the door. It can take awhile for a new cat to integrate into a household with other cats, particularly when she is feeling protective of her kittens. Do you have a spare room you can put them in when the kittens begin to leave the nest?

I hope you can get her seen and treated ASAP, and do keep us posted as this situation is concerning.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use soil in the box. My cat is like this too. She was an adult street cat when she found me and I adopted her. She doesn't use her litterboxes but if she can't go out to the yard, she uses the big plant containers. (She would use a box too if there was only soil in it.)

You can then gradually try to get her use to the regular litterbox material.

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've put some dirt in the litter box, she seemed interested, so we'll see. I also opened a can of tuna in water and gave her all the liquid to drink. She downed that in one sitting. I tried the KMR yesterday, she drank some but left most of it unfinished. This morning she ate a whole can of Fancy Feast kitten food... no problem with her appetite.
I will call around to vet clinics to see if anyone works with rescue cats (read, reduced pricing). She is not overly hot or lethargic or painful acting but I will feel much better once someone has examined her. The vet clinic I called yesterday is a not-for-profit that I believe all rescues and animal assistance groups use... why they're soooo busy.
Thank you all for your great advice. I'll keep you posted.

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
Not urinary or uterus problem, anal. Finally have an appt at 11:40 AM this morning. Not worried about litter training at this point. Just want to get her medical. (Although she is comfortable going inside in the makeshift litter box because she knows I will clean up immediately.)
She and the babies continue to have great appetites! I have begun adding water to momma's food so that she is getting more fluids. She has also taken to saucers of the KMR 🤗.
I believe, due to her holding her movements and inadequate fluids, she has created problems with her anal glands. They were protruding from her bum yesterday ... reason I was finally able to get an appt ... after a couple hours with her butt on a cool gel pack, they retracted. The appt today is just before her usual daily movement so I hope we can avoid a repeat of what happened yesterday. Haven't given her kibble/anything 'solid' only canned food mixed with water.
I don't know how she will be during the car ride to the vet but luckily it's a short distance.
All, I was completely blindsided by the inability to get an appt, even for something I saw as an emergency. If your pet needs to be seen, please don't wait to make the appt, it could be 3+ weeks before they can be seen by a vet!! I will call now to schedule spay/neuter appts for September.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may need a stool softener for awhile, and the vet can express her glands. So glad you do have an appointment for her now, thanks to your persistence. Let us know how it goes. :)

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's killing me 😢 to see her go through this. She is the most sweet, patient young lady, and gorgeous to boot! I'm upset that I had to pull out the 'I used to be the night manager there' card but...
20200731_070439.jpg

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Doctor diagnosis:
Just visual exam, no anal expression.
He said the muscles are weak due to giving birth. He prescribed antibiotic, Metronidazole, 1/4 of 250 mg tablet every 12 hours for 6 days (only prescribed this when I told him there was mucus in her stool) and Fortiflora, probiotic, every 24 hours.
Told me Rosemary (momma) must stop nursing due to antibiotic! Babies just turned 4 wks! I know it can be done but...
Thoughts?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, they can continue nursing. The metronidazole will not hurt them at all. In fact, that’s not a strong dose, and what little they get in her milk will not matter. It will clear up parasites and bacteria in mom’s intestines. Mom and kittens are better off continuing on together, and I’ve seen kittens nurse through much stronger antibiotics and narcotic pain meds and be just fine.

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, they can continue nursing. The metronidazole will not hurt them at all. In fact, that’s not a strong dose, and what little they get in her milk will not matter. It will clear up parasites and bacteria in mom’s intestines. Mom and kittens are better off continuing on together, and I’ve seen kittens nurse through much stronger antibiotics and narcotic pain meds and be just fine.
Oh! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I thought so but wanted to reach out just to be sure. I will add though, the boys are getting so big, so fast, I may have to supplement 🤗
20200731_125253_1596225852401.jpg

pskane610

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All right, to end this little situation...
I bought different litter, she used it 🤗! Absolutely no problems!!! No mucus or blood in her stool and no bulging or straining. Since neither the antibiotic or probiotic would've worked this quickly, it was definitely the lack of fluids!
Thank you all for your support!