Outdoor feral cat soon to give birth - any advice on how I might best support her?

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all - you have been very helpful with information in the past. Here's my latest challenge. I live in a tenement block in Belgrade, Serbia. I regularly feed an outdoor cat who spends a lot of time in the courtyard. She often takes shelter in some rubble (where I have hidden a cat box). She is heavily pregnant and will soon give birth. In the courtyard, I could make a large (thermal ) home using cardboard, polystyrene, and insulation foil, and place it in a safe accessible spot. Is this a good idea? I just want to do the best I can to make sure the kittens arrive safely, have a warm place (as we head towards the spring the weather is very changeable: 18 degrees and sunny last week, but minus temperatures and snow expected this week!) and can remain safe while they grow. Any other ideas? Thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a plan! Any kind of shelter would be appreciated, cats will keep their kittens warm in cold temperatures. The main problem for her will be food and water. Kitten food is very good for her, it will be higher in calories and nutrition, they get very thin while nursing. If she has a warm place to retreat to, food and water nearby, she will be fine! all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice!

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not really. We have a small flat, and we have our own (once feral) cat who is blind and very nervous. We don't think it would go well! The outdoor cat is very well fed - I do make sure.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for being a guardian for that kitty. The shelter is a good idea but the rubble will offer the best protection for tiny kittens to avoid predators. The goat milk is an excellent suggestion as is kitten food - low calcium (hypocalcemia) is very dangerous for cats giving birth and postpartum.

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a good point...I have hidden the boxes amongst the rubble. The boxes are well protected and well-insulated with a make-shift flap front door. I was worried that over-adventurous kittens might fall down the gaps in the rubble...I would put a box in the courtyard (no real predators here), but although some of the neighbours are cat lovers, some definitely aren't and would remove the boxes.