Outdoor Cat Question

catdad87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Question I'm hoping you can help with:

My parents have an outdoor cat (non-negotiable) that they are super stingy about letting inside. She kind of came with the house when they bought it. We have food/water outside for her, and sometimes let her in for a head scratch, but then she has to go back out.

Even when it's pouring rain out, they won't let her in. Even when it's super hot in the summer, she is not allowed in because she is so dirty and gets hair everywhere and has marked the walls a couple of times.

However, the cat doesn't seem to mind either... she's weird, she will stand out in the rain or lay out on a chair in the rain getting soaking wet, not seeming to care with this look of "meh". She also lays in pools of water that build up on top of our unused spa getting soaking wet. She will sometimes come to our door soaking wet from rain, come inside for a second or two, and then immediately want back out.

She's currently laying on a patio chair outside, and it's super cold out. I really want to go out and put a blanket on top of her because I feel so bad.

Basically I feel so bad that we have this outdoor cat that is never really let inside, and I feel like a terrible person for not letting her in, and that I should tell my parents they're mean. But I'm wondering if I'm overthinking this. Maybe she's just a happy outdoor cat that doesn't really care about the weather? I don't know, thoughts? Is this animal cruelty?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she have access to shelter if she wants it? That is legally required---that she have a covered shelter that is warm and doesn't get wet when it rains. If she chooses not to use it, well, nothing you can do about that. Cats are weird.

It sounds like she's happy with the situation as it is right now. I hope that as she ages they let her come in more if that's what she wants. But some cats are perfectly happy being outside and it sounds like she's one of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdad87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she have access to shelter if she wants it? That is legally required---that she have a covered shelter that is warm and doesn't get wet when it rains.
She does have a shelter, a plastic Dome thing that my parents bought her. It's pretty nice actually. I put a blanket in there for her but have to constantly switch it out because it gets wet. And yeah she chooses not to go inside of it and just lays out in the rain.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In that case, since she has shelter and chooses not to use it, don't worry about her too much. Do make sure there is adequate, warm bedding in the dome, though.