Our outside cat isn't eating but maybe someone else is feeding her?

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a feral cat outside that we feed (we also got her fixed) always hangs around our yard during the day and eats throughout the day. She's probably 8-9 years old and we've been feeding her for 7+ years. She hangs out near us in the yard and "talks" to us but we can't touch her, even after all these years. We've been feeding her the same dry food and sometimes a can of fancy feast.

Sometimes she disappears for 1-2 days and we worry about her, but she always comes back. She disappeared for a day this week and then showed up again. I put food out for her first thing in the morning, but I haven't seen her eat it at all. She looks healthy, she's gained a little weight this winter and is acting normal-- hanging out, cleaning herself in the sun etc. But we haven't seen her eat and the food isn't touched. We put out a bit of turkey yesterday from our weekend meal and she didn't even want that.

It's entirely possible another neighbor is feeding her. We have tons of neighbors and don't know them all. She's also been known to kill the occasional chipmunk.

I'm not sure if we could trap her again but I could try. How would I know if she's sick and not just eating elsewhere?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How would I know if she's sick and not just eating elsewhere?
Looks like she's being fed elsewhere as you mentioned that she put on weight. She may not like the turkey as some cats are a little or more fussy than others and stick to the usual food.

If she's sick, she may not be grooming herself much and will probably hide in a corner of she's sick.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any chance you can go around the neighborhood with her pic and just ask if someone is feeding her? You can tell them you don't care that they are, you just need to know it so you can make an assessment as to whether her change in eating habits at your house is health related or not.

You could also try something a bit more enticing in terms of human food, just to see what she does. Something like Kentucky Fried Chicken? If she does, it doesn't mean she is not sick, but if she doesn't go for something like that, there is a greater chance something is off for her health wise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any chance you can go around the neighborhood with her pic and just ask if someone is feeding her? You can tell them you don't care that they are, you just need to know it so you can make an assessment as to whether her change in eating habits at your house is health related or not.

You could also try something a bit more enticing in terms of human food, just to see what she does. Something like Kentucky Fried Chicken? If she does, it doesn't mean she is not sick, but if she doesn't go for something like that, there is a greater chance something is off for her health wise.
Yes maybe I'll try canned tuna or something that is more enticing. I wonder if I didn't get a bad bag of dry food, though. The other outside cat is also not eating it. Sometimes a bag is just a little off.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Careful. That's howi ended up with half my cats.😄 They started hanging around till they finally came in.
Try another bag? But check the exp date on old bag first. To make sure you don't pick up from same lot. Hope things work out.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Try following her from way back. It is possible she also has a litter of kittens she is nursing since she disappears and comes back and being fed by someone else

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try following her from way back. It is possible she also has a litter of kittens she is nursing since she disappears and comes back and being fed by someone else
profcat profcat has already stated that she's been "fixed" so she won't be nursing! .:)

Perhaps she's discovered a feeding station for ferals - we often get visitors who turn up looking well-fed and cared for. One cat even spent a night in one of the houses, came out with one of "our" ferals and stayed for breakfast. We don't see them for weeks and suddenly they will reappear. We put photos of them on Facebook but no-one comes forward to admit ownership. We feed the best dry and wet food, cat milk and water, twice a day so it may be tempting for some cats to stay away from home just for a change of food.
I do hope you find out what's going on - if only for your own peace of mind.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, we got her fixed 8 years ago! Thank goodness -- the last thing we need are kittens! (we do a lot of rescue and TNR)

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Careful. That's howi ended up with half my cats.😄 They started hanging around till they finally came in.
Try another bag? But check the exp date on old bag first. To make sure you don't pick up from same lot. Hope things work out.
Oh we have 3 of her kittens (we got her fixed after getting them 8 years ago) so we know ALL about that! Ha!

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: We tried putting out some of the diet dry food we usually our inside cats and she ate some last night and this morning. It seems the bag of her regular food might be the issue, so we ordered a replacement. She was in her usual spot this morning talking to me when I woke up, so I think she's feeling ok.

I also think someone nearby feeds them. There are 2 males that come around (1 is ear-tipped) and they don't come often enough so it means they're eating somewhere.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: We tried putting out some of the diet dry food we usually our inside cats and she ate some last night and this morning. It seems the bag of her regular food might be the issue, so we ordered a replacement.
I wouldn't throw that food out yet. It's actually really hard for dry food to "go bad." I read through everything in this thread, and it sounds inconclusive to me that the problem is the food.

I could be wrong though, that's just my first impression.

It's possible. I'm just saying, I hate the idea of pet food being thrown out, unless it's actually bad.

Last edited:

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had a weird batch of food or weird bag (or case) that my cats just won't eat. This one was super crummy and it could be the texture-- maybe it got too hot in the truck or something.

I don't ever throw stuff out, though. That's what the raccoons in the back are for!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't ever throw stuff out, though. That's what the raccoons in the back are for!
I know this is totally off-topic, but have you ever seen this "Raccoon Whisperer" guy?

Ssuper funny and interesting to watch. 🙂

Last edited: