Our Oreo

jeannecarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been over 2 years since I last posted on this site (yeah, life...) and I realize I never told of the end of my beautiful boy. It was only half a year since I'd last posted.

In March of 2016 my husband and I returned from a weekend away, to find Oreo in hubby's recliner, where he rarely went; he barely responded to my petting, and when I tried to pick him up he cried pitifully. I alerted hubby who did pick him up, tried putting him on the ground to see him staggering around. That was it; our coats were still on and our luggage was still in the car, but we hustled him into his carrier and headed out for the animal hospital. He didn't even cry all the way there, as he usually did. Long story short, his bladder had a huge blood clot in it and he was severely dehydrated. Over the following week (at the end of which was his 16th birthday) they tested him every way they could, even operating on his bladder to see if they could trace the source of the bleeding and to get rid of that big clot. He came through it all like a champ, but the next 3 months were up and down. He had to get different prescription food, he started losing weight (I know he had gotten too heavy over the years but this was ridiculous), eventually had to be given regular fluid shots, and pills which were the bane of all our existence, the vet said his kidneys were beginning to fail, and finally in June he had a relapse of peeing blood and his bladder was distended. At that point we realized there was nothing more we could do for him, so we had him put down. It's bad enough losing a pet, but when you have to be the one to make the decision, that's really the pits. We were a mess that night, hubby was worse than I was even, and Oreo was My cat! (He stopped paying much attention to hubby when he grew up.) We buried him in our youngest nephew's backyard, along with some of his favorite treats "for the road."

He had been a problem for several years, with occasionally using other parts of the house as adjuncts to his litterbox (for both functions), and of course with all his medical problems that last 3 months, life has been so much simpler without him; but there are times when I still miss him!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are amazing in how they truly become such a huge part of our lives, even the "easy keepers".
Thank you for the story, and for letting us share in how much you-all loved your baby.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your tribute to a loving, much missed friend. They have a way of wiggling into our hearts and when they leave us they leave a huge hole in our lives. There is always guilt, sadness and blame that evades our souls when we are grieving, I hope time brings your beautiful, loving memories to the forefront and they make Oreo's life more important then the painful memories of his death, as it should be. Time seems to be the only thing that helps to bring peace and acceptance, it helps to do good things in our beloved's name to make us feel a little better about ourselves and to honor our loved one's names. Donate to a local shelter, even the smallest gift of food, supplies or toys is greatly appreciated. I pay for adoptions so they can find the homes they deserve. The scared, hopeless eyes urge me on. I do it all in my Chrissy's name.
Oreo didn't want to go, he had to. 16 is a long life for a senior kitty, he loved you and depended on you to know when the suffering became more than his life. When the life becomes enduring rather than living, when the future holds no cure, it is time. You somehow found the strength to end that pain and he thanks you. The bond you developed will be with you always, not even death can break a bond of love. His new path will follow both of yours until it crosses once more.hen the meantime he would want for you to go forward with joy and happiness, to not let his death hold you to the past, it is as you would want for him if you were the first to go, because it is love. let your precious memories of happier times bring you comfort, know he lived a life full of love and enjoyed a wonderful home with a family that cared. Take care and thank you for giving that sweet boy so much.......Rip beautiful Oreo. You will never be forgotten and will always have a special place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeannecarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your lovely words. After 2 years it is a lot easier; at first I could swear that sometimes I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye, where I knew darn well our Mackie wasn't; sometimes I still wonder. But Oreo is now at peace, true. I still am amazed at hubby's packing up a treat baggie to be buried with him; I wouldn't have thought of such a thing but it was perfect.

One of hubby's biggest concerns, though, was the effect of Oreo's absence on Mackie. He still thinks Mackie needs a companion cat (he had never been without at least one), but I've always vetoed it because of our ages (we're senior citizens). Mackie meanwhile has adapted, and instead of being mostly hubby's cat he now pays almost as much attention to me. He's 10 now, and I'd really like both of us to outlive him (and he's very healthy, so far).

Now I tell Oreo stories just as I tell stories of the cats that went before, fondly and without regret.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you, that means your heart is healing, it seems to take so long to actually talk about our little ones without that horrible pang of pain. But I know they wouldn't want us to live with that pain forever, just as we wouldn't want them to either. It's just so hard......

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Oreo, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

What a moving tribute to your Friend and family member. Love does not die, you know, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. Who knows, perhaps that movement out of the corner of your eye was, indeed, Oreo, just reminding you of that fact.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeannecarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked plenty about Oreo even as things were happening; I just didn't say it here, because after not being on this site for several months I almost forgot about it. Folks on two other sites (not cat sites) heard the whole thing, as well as all our personal friends and my coworkers. And I do apologize for not coming back to this site sooner.