Our little visitor

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love possums

We had a juvenile one come one year and we heard a fuss in the yard and our dogs were barking at it while it was cornered so we put the dogs away and ushered it into the dogproof part of our yard and i didn't know what it needed but it was so cute i built it a little shelter and put out a variety of table scraps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

It may be the same one. There has been plenty of time for him to have grown that much.
Yep, there has been - but opossums aren't ones to stick around the same territory this long (at least that's my understanding).

Originally Posted by pushylady

That's so sweet Laurie. He's like "are you finished yet?" never mind the bowl in front of him!
Exactly!
It's hysterical watching him eat - he keeps going back and forth between the wet and the dry food.

Originally Posted by hissy

Laurie, if it were a skunk I would worry and take up all the feeders and try to find another place to feed. Skunks are notorious rabies carriers but possums will come out in the late evening toward dusk if they are hungry or they have a brood to feed in their belly.
Actually, these opossums have been showing up in the middle of the day. At first I was worried about rabies too, but apparently they're not necessarily nocturnal! Stephanie verified the info I found online.

...and we do pick up the food at night as we don't have a specialized feeding station set up. It does attract skunks and raccoons otherwise, and we don't want to feed the entire forest.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is the same 1, he grew! I'm shocked they aren't fighting for the food!

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

If he is the same 1, he grew! I'm shocked they aren't fighting for the food!
Maybe he thinks the kitteh is the one putting the food down

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's not at all unusual for cats and opossums to get along - when there's plenty of food to go 'round.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I think it's not at all unusual for cats and opossums to get along - when there's plenty of food to go 'round.
Shhhh I'll be tempted to go kidnap one, they're so darn cute

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well this ironic! I just went outside to check on the cats and I saw yogi run under the deck and then something caught my eye and was strolling through the yard near the cat shelter!!! I have a light off of the deck so it helped me get a look at it. It was a grey possum!!!! I walked out into the yard towards him and he just strolled along as if I wasn't there. I moved a bit closer and he froze and played possum. Then I saw Hokey run past me and off into the woods. The possum just then calmly walked off into the woods after Hokey!!!!! Is it true, can the cats and this possum know each other? At first I was concerned thinking he had rabies because he was not running away. After he went into the woods I followed a bit and he climbed half way up a tree so I just went back in the house.

I wonder if mr. Possum is enjoying the food along with the cats and I wonder if they are in a way friendly about sharing territory. I can't believe your photo of the cats and the possum by the food bowls!!
That is a great
picture

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I know some cats will run them off - but if they're not seriously territorial kitties, I don't think they really bother about the opossums. I do know the opossums are not aggressive animals - and some really don't seem to be afraid. And they are NOT reservoirs of rabies - they seem to be resistant. In fact, they're considered a barrier species.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ALL nocturnal animals will come out when food is scarce and it is cold if there is food right there for them to eat. Baby oppossums are pretty cute - that one is pretty young. Momma oppossums are not so cute and they are pretty large! LOL

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful, Laurie! It really is time for me to update my siggy, MA!
Yes, it's quite the norm for kitties and possies to get along and share quite nicely. In fact, that's how I met my gentle, wise Buddi when she was coming up to eat with my ferals

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have seen oppossums in the past as we back right up to the woods, but I have never seen one in such close proximity with the outdoor cats!! They seemed quite comfortable in one another's company
. It surprised me last night to see that. After reading this thread, I guess it can be common and I really don't know much about oppossum's behavior or temperament's, but this guy was quite calm and serene and not bothered at all by me following him around. I am sure he is coming around for the cat food too

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know! And despite living in the woods, so to speak, it did surprise me to see him/her out and about during the day.

But now - at Stephanie's suggestion
- any fruit or veges we don't eat before they ripen past our preference, we toss out in the woods for them.
... and something's been eating them!