Our hearts are broken

Mpichel3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and felt like I needed to tell my story in hope I’m not alone. My boyfriend and I adopted a beautiful, sweet boy on December 19th. He was our 8 week old Christmas kitty. We instantly created a bond with him as did our 6 month old pup Cooper. They were inseparable. We noticed shortly after bringing him home that he was having urinination issues(urinating in areas of home outside box, frequently urinating, blood in urine). We brought him to the vet 1-2x/week and they tried everything they could to figure out what could be wrong with this little kitten. Was it stress? Behavioral? Or worse, cystitis? He was always a happy go lucky kitten and showed no signs of discomfort in the last few months. The vet kept an eye on him and gave different treatments to clear up possible infection, did X-rays to rule out any possible stones or blockage. We were told he had cystitis and they couldn’t say why a kitten this young developed it. We put him on a wet food diet, gave him multiple litter boxes around the house, and figured we would keep it under control and he would live comfortably.
We were wrong. This past weekend, Oliver started showing signs of blocked urethra. We instantly took him to the ER. After much discussion with the doctors and amongst ourself we decided to give him a chance and allow them to do the procedure to insert catheter and unblock him. Due to his age and small size they were worried he wouldn’t make it through. To our luck, he did. Unfortunately, the next day they performed an ultrasound and found that Oliver had a bladder stone and because of his size it never showed up in previous tests. They could attempt to surgically remove the stone, but he had also developed infection in both kidneys and was not doing well. Putting a 16 week old kitten through this was not recommended and the quality of life for this poor baby was not going to be good lifelong. We had to make the HEARTBREAKING decision to put him down and not let him go through any more pain. I can’t even begin to explain the pain my boyfriend and I as well as the puppy are going through right now. Oliver was so young and had so much life ahead of him. Some may think it’s silly that we are so heartbroken over this seeing as we only spent 2.5 months with him but he was part or our family and we loved him with all we had.
Sorry for the long post, I just hope there is someone else out there who can relate to what we’re going through and knowing we’re not alone would make it a little better.

Attachments

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for you and your poor little Oliver. No-one will think it silly to be so upset after so short a time spent with your little boy. Grief felt after a young life is cut short is perhaps even harder to bear than when a beloved pet passes away having lived its life to the full. There are even fewer happy memories to look back on and only thoughts such as ...."if only.... ", "why didn't we....?", "why Oliver?"
I am so sorry for your loss. You have my heartfelt sympathy.
:hugs: :rbheart:

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
You are not alone. Many of us on this site have gone through a loss ourselves, sometimes with our babies at a young age or through really tough circumstances.
Just know that Oliver loved you just as much as you loved him. Cherish the time you had together.
Our hearts break with yours and we are all here for you. It's ok to grieve. Just remember that you are never alone in this. 💕

Rowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and felt like I needed to tell my story in hope I’m not alone. My boyfriend and I adopted a beautiful, sweet boy on December 19th. He was our 8 week old Christmas kitty. We instantly created a bond with him as did our 6 month old pup Cooper. They were inseparable. We noticed shortly after bringing him home that he was having urinination issues(urinating in areas of home outside box, frequently urinating, blood in urine). We brought him to the vet 1-2x/week and they tried everything they could to figure out what could be wrong with this little kitten. Was it stress? Behavioral? Or worse, cystitis? He was always a happy go lucky kitten and showed no signs of discomfort in the last few months. The vet kept an eye on him and gave different treatments to clear up possible infection, did X-rays to rule out any possible stones or blockage. We were told he had cystitis and they couldn’t say why a kitten this young developed it. We put him on a wet food diet, gave him multiple litter boxes around the house, and figured we would keep it under control and he would live comfortably.
We were wrong. This past weekend, Oliver started showing signs of blocked urethra. We instantly took him to the ER. After much discussion with the doctors and amongst ourself we decided to give him a chance and allow them to do the procedure to insert catheter and unblock him. Due to his age and small size they were worried he wouldn’t make it through. To our luck, he did. Unfortunately, the next day they performed an ultrasound and found that Oliver had a bladder stone and because of his size it never showed up in previous tests. They could attempt to surgically remove the stone, but he had also developed infection in both kidneys and was not doing well. Putting a 16 week old kitten through this was not recommended and the quality of life for this poor baby was not going to be good lifelong. We had to make the HEARTBREAKING decision to put him down and not let him go through any more pain. I can’t even begin to explain the pain my boyfriend and I as well as the puppy are going through right now. Oliver was so young and had so much life ahead of him. Some may think it’s silly that we are so heartbroken over this seeing as we only spent 2.5 months with him but he was part or our family and we loved him with all we had.
Sorry for the long post, I just hope there is someone else out there who can relate to what we’re going through and knowing we’re not alone would make it a little better.
What a little beauty he was! I'm so sorry about Oliver and what he went through at such a young age. You did the most you could and making those decisions are always very hard no matter what- hard to know what to do. You gave him all of your love and he felt it. He was not doing well and you didnt want him to go through anymore pain, thats all we have to go by when we make these decisions. My heart goes out to you!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is horrible.....for some reason these things just sometimes happen, they don't make much sense and are very unfair but they just happen. God must've needed a little cat Angel for someone in Heaven is the way that I always think of it. You did all that you could and more, the grief has ahold of you now and will play mental and physical games with you for awhile, but with time you will realize that for some reason this just had to happen, it isn't what anyone wanted but for some reason it was sadly meant to be. And he is fine now, just fine, and when you meet again down the line he will thank you for taking care of him albeit a short time.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so so sorry for your loss, I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, Lord Bless you......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Oliver, dream you deep. Your tiny pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

OH, my Darlin! Not silly, never silly. You met, you fell in love, and you lost your love. Of course, you are grieving! Of course you are! No one here would every call that silly. Not a single one of us.

This is what I know. Oliver lived, and breathed, and had his being surrounded by love. He had a short life, but a merry one...because of you. And when his tiny body could no longer support his great spirit, you were brave enough to guide his steps through the Gate between This Adventure and his Next Great Adventure. Now, in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he blesses your bravery, and he sends his love, translated and purified into Love, back to you, to walk beside you all the days of your life. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your heart knows no time, no matter how short or long, it just loves.....
I wish I could explain why things like this happen. But there is no rhyme nor reason. I just want you to know that something as horrible as this is very rare in one so young, it most likely started at birth. You are in no way responsible for what happened, these things just randomly happen, I'm so sorry it had to happen to your family. I really believe that sweet little boy needed someone to be with him through this, that he needed to know happiness and what love was before he had to leave, and you were chosen. Yes, it shatters the soul and leaves a huge hole in your heart, but the important thing is that he got everything he wanted, a loving family and to be loved and remembered. He will be at peace because he knew you love.....
You and your family created a strong bond between your hearts, a bond of love that can never be taken from you or broken. You never get over something like this, you get through it and learn to cope with your feelings of loss. This all takes time. As a mother with several children, any future love will be accepted with happiness and love, he taught you that. It will reside beside his in your heart and actually strengthen and sustain it, bringing it out with the sunshine and happiness that accompanies love. He is at peace because he will forever carry your love in his heart. Offer those feelings he left you to another little love in time, it will bring distraction to your grief, and bring happiness once more into your life.
Although his journey through life was a short one, he now follows a new path, one that will forever follow your own. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, so send him those of love and happiness, not grief and despair.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts. We will try to share your burden of grief and make it lighter, there is strength in numbers and we are legion......RIP precious Oliver. You will never be forgotten, you will have secure places in loving hearts for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. It does not matter how long Oliver was part of your family, He was family that's what counts. Your not alone I lost my boy Tik at 2 years old he blocked and had a bad heart so we made that awful decision to end his pain. Give yourself time to grieve it's not silly you loved him, nobody on here would think that. No matter how long we have with them it's never long enough and to loose one so young is heartbreaking. RIP sweet Oliver you'll be looked after at the bridge,. :rbheart:

KittyLadyMzLisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When they are so young it's so devastating because their
time is so short with us. I lost my Bella over this past weekend too. I am so sorry
for your loss of your precious, adorable boy. What is striking to me
is when I saw your pictures is how much your Oliver's white paws
and chest are similar to Bella's.
Perhaps they are playing together in Heaven.

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Wow what a heartfelt story. I am so sorry you lost your beautiful and loving kitten! I can't believe how much you guys did for this little one, it is beautiful and makes me understand the commitment which is involved in adding a cat to your household (As I recently purchased one and waiting for it to be 12 weeks old prior to re-homing it).

I hope it helps you feel better knowing people on here are going to support you through this and knowing you did ABSOLUTLEY EVERYTHING for Oliver! He truly looked like an amazing kitten and that the bond was already there so don't let anyone make you feel like your feelings should not be this extreme. You were invested emotionally and while I know this isn't the point but financially too. You really tried and I bet most people don't go this far for their animals but we all should.

I want you to know that we're here to support you and tell you that you couldn't do anything else and honestly you gave it an amazing life, even in the little time Oliver had.

I hope you get over this as soon as possible and get another kitten and live with it exactly how you picture it.