Our Experience With The Bathroom Weenie.....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We want to start gutting our bathroom and remodeling everything. We had an appt with a designer from a local kitchen/bath store to measure the bathroom. He was also supposed to measure our kitchen for backsplash as I had found such a pretty backsplash at the store that I wanted to buy and have installed. Not only did the guy not bother to show up at our house for the appt, but he never bothered to call to tell us that he wasn't coming. Despite repeated attempts to contact him, both through his cell and through people at the store, he still hasn't returned our phone calls.

Yesterday, Rick went into the store to try to talk to him......only to be told that he was working on projects that cost between $80,000 to $100,000. Rick felt belittled by the whole thing; evidently, our "little" bathroom and kitchen projects weren't worth the guy's time or worth the time from anybody else at the store. We understand that, sometimes, things do come up, which make it difficult to keep appts. However, not to call to tell us he couldn't keep the appt was both very rude and very unprofessional. And the guy (who we think is the owner) basically told Rick that remodeling our bathroom wasn't important because of the more expensive projects they were doing.

Rick is furious. And, you know, my husband is one of the easiest-going men around. He takes everything in stride, he doesn't easily get upset (unless it's me, of course). He is furious. So now we're back to the beginning, trying to find somebody who's willing to work with us on a "small" project. It's just a bathroom and then the kitchen backsplash, so it's nothing big. And I guess that means it's not worth a professional's effort.

Interestingly, when we gutted the kitchen a few years ago, the guy who used to work at that store was a real sweetheart. He came down to the house, measured everything out, and gave us a complete list of cabinet sizes, spacers, the whole thing. He was great to work with. This guy? Useless, unless you're spending about $80,000.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
However, not to call to tell us he couldn't keep the appt was both very rude and very unprofessional. And the guy (who we think is the owner) basically told Rick that remodeling our bathroom wasn't important because of the more expensive projects they were doing.
It's not only rude and unprofessional but bad P.R. for the company. Word of mouth as well as social media is notorious for public relations. I'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience. :frown:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too think that is bad for the store's image. Yes it is great to get one of those big expensive projects but they are not the store's bread and butter unless you live in a mega wealthy area. It's those more routine 'little' jobs that is the bulk of their business.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd write a bunch of bad reviews of the place on Angie's List, Facebook, and wherever else you can think of. Ask friends to spread the word. Then let them know what you've done.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really need to have my bathroom redone but I don't have that kind of money. I thought maybe $40,000. My house is only worth $120,00.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd write a bunch of bad reviews of the place on Angie's List, Facebook, and wherever else you can think of. Ask friends to spread the word. Then let them know what you've done.
That is exactly what I would do. I would do a review on Yelp too. Search Businesses In Harrisburg, PA - Yelp

I changed the location to Harrisburg PA- that is fairly close to you, correct Winchester Winchester ? If not, you can just change it. I use Yelp all the time to look for reviews on lots of things. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with someone so unprofessional. He must have really been a donkey's hindquarters if he got Rick that upset. :doh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I reviewed on Yelp, Home Advisor, and Houzz. And on Google. Nothing was published on Home Advisor or on Houzz.....at least as far as I can see. They did respond to me on FB.....said the guy had had a death in the family. I replied that I was sorry to hear that, but even so, a phone call would have been the professional thing to do, especially since I know for a fact that the guy was at the store every day this week.

So then he wrote that they did apologize, but if I didn't want to accept their apology then that was my decision. Ok, then....

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but a death in the family doesn't cause them to rudely tell their customer that their little bathroom job is beneath them. That's just snobby and wrong. They would go bankrupt around here, nobody has $80,000 to spend on a bathroom, especially not in this economy. That makes me so mad.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I know. And I think that, more than anything, is what really angered Rick. He said the guy at the store was very belittling, like our project wasn't worth their time. He's still really upset about it.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have friends who own their own businesses and do contruction/repair jobs. We always go that route instead of contacting the home supply stores or companies. I am still dealing with the worst floor we ever had in my kitchen and dining room. I have hated it ever since we built the house. It was subcontracted out by the big box store in our area. But I don't want to get off on that rant. Do you know some local people who could do the work?

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick has been talking with people at his work; we are not the only ones who have had trouble with this company, largely since this "designer" has started: not keeping appts, not getting back to people, telling people he would be at the store at a certain time and then not being there. That made Rick feel a little better, but honestly, the whole thing has him furious.

He and I are going to figure this out. It's not just a matter of measuring, but it's also trying to figure what extra pieces are needed for the bathroom cabinets. Things like spacers, legs (not toe kicks), pieces to make the cabinets look a little "fancy", etc. Those are things he's not sure about. But in the end, we'll get there; we always do.

The contractor who's putting in the window and the sun tunnel said he'll install the cabinets for us. We are going to the store where we bought the granite countertops for the kitchen to see what they have for the bathroom and they'll do the installation. My nephew-in-law is a plumber and he's got his part under control; Rick has already talked to him. We are blessed with a great electrician and a great contractor; I'd recommend both of these guys in a heart beat. They're wonderful to work with.

It's the initial measuring that's going to be tricky and trying to figure out the extra pieces. But we'll figure it out.