Our Angel Daphne

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. This post is about our beautiful solid white cat Daphne. Someone had dropped Daphne off near our house when she was about five months old. The poor little girl was very skinny and had diarrhea. We were actually going to nurse her to health and get all of her shots and send her to a friend of my husband. However, I fell in love with Daphne very quickly (by the way, my husband and I were watching a lot of Frasier reruns when we found her, so that's where her name Daphne came from). Daphne was very shy around everyone except for my husband and me. She was incredibly sweet. She also didn't actually meow...instead she squeaked (we said.she "queaked" and nicknamed her "Queakers". Daphne would look us in the eye and talk to us. A couple of times, my husband and I sang, "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands..." and Daphne queaked twice right on cue. She was a beautiful little angel, but the poor baby had frequent health problems. We often took her to the vet's. But even when she was sick, she was very sweet and affectionate. In November or December of 2015, she developed some kind of lesion on her nose, and it grew. The vet removed it and biopsied it, and poor Daphne had to wear an Elizabethan collar for several weeks. But even with that collar, she was as affectionate as she could be.
IMG_20150913_084643115_HDR.jpg
She finally had the cone taken off, and she joyfully ran around the house. She was as healthy as I had ever seen her. But on January 7th, my husband and I came home and Daphne was very lethargic. She weakly queaked at me, and her eyes were half closed. Then I saw her in the kitchen, and blood was coming out of her ears. I called the emergency vet number and she said Daphne probably got into a tousle with one of our other cats (which did happen from time to time) and to bring her in the next morning. During the night, my husband said Daphne vomited and the vomit had blood. We brought her to the vet's the next morning, and they did bloodwork on her. When the vet came back into the examination room, she said Daphne was a very sick kitty. Her bloodwork showed she had almost no RBCs and she was dangerously low in other areas. All that could be done was for her to have emergency transfusions, and she would need to be kept for several weeks. I was devastated to hear that because Daphne never ate while she was kept at the vet's, and I couldn't bear to think about how terrified she would be. The vet said dogs had a fifty percent chance of surviving the procedure, but cats had a lower chance. Daphne was also so frail that she would have been at even higher risk. Daphne was only eight years old, but we couldn't stand the thought of her suffering, so we made the heartbreaking decision to have her put to sleep. I couldn't stay in the room while it was done, but my husband stayed with Daphne. He said the vet tried to give Daphne the first shot, and Daphne kept crawling back to him so that he would protect her. He said it was the hardest thing he ever had to do, and he still says he feels like he betrayed her. I tell him that she was really sick and she would have suffered and still probably would not have survived (but we both sometimes wonder if we did the right thing). My username is DaphnesMommy because the day she died was the first day I visited TheCatSite, but I was much too upset to post a thread about Daphne. I still miss Daphne so much. I have seen pictures of Jesus holding a lost little lamb, and I try to picture him holding Daphne like that. I hope I see her again.
IMG_20151208_184423780.jpg

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
What a touching story, she was a wonderful cat, I am sorry that you lost her, and it is always so hard to have to "play God" but you did the right albeit hardest thing you could do. She is fine now, just fine, and yes you will see her again one day and it will be wonderful....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a touching story, she was a wonderful cat, I am sorry that you lost her, and it is always so hard to have to "play God" but you did the right albeit hardest thing you could do. She is fine now, just fine, and yes you will see her again one day and it will be wonderful....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your hearts heal a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:[/QUOTE
Thank you so much, Les. I really appreciate your compassion.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DaphnesMommy DaphnesMommy , your story is very touching, it brought tears to my eyes and the true love for this unlucky kitty is clearly visible in every single word of your post.

My heart is aching for your and Daphne, but I know she loves you and is thankful for what you did for her throughout her llife, till the end.

RIP Daphne, your white fur will shine forever!

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
DaphnesMommy DaphnesMommy , your story is very touching, it brought tears to my eyes and the true love for this unlucky kitty is clearly visible in every single word of your post.

My heart is aching for your and Daphne, but I know she loves you and is thankful for what you did for her throughout her llife, till the end.

RIP Daphne, your white fur will shine forever!
Hi, Antonio. Thanks so much for your post. I really appreciate it. God bless.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course it was one of the hardest decisions to make, but it will never be a wrong one because it was made from the love you held for her. Believe me, it is no easier to watch the suffering that comes, and it always does, by letting the inevitable be prolonged. Medications and treatments do not cure, they cannot stop the progress.... they prolong, not halting the pain that comes, making living an existence. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, none of us can change the past. Just take one day at a time....I promised my Burt he would die at home, and it was so hard to see him suffer. I would have had a vet there in a minute if I could have. It is so much better to end the pain a day early than to be a day late.
Don't let those thoughts of those last moments rule your life. They will take on more importance than her life, they will overshadow the joy, the happiness she shared with you and that is never good. Concentrate on the joy she brought you, what a good little squeaker she was, on the the bond of love you built with her by sharing your life's journey with her for a little while. It will always be with you, it may change form, but love is spiritual, so forever eternal. she will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers, so let her comfort you, let her love bring you joy instead of sadness. As you would want for her if you were the first to go, go forward into the future with the joy and happiness that comes from loving and being loved. Be thankful for knowing that little girl and having her in your life, she is thankful for having you in hers. It would have been unthinkable to have never known her at all, even with the pain of parting.
I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers , know I will share your grief and help make the burden a little easier to bear. Time is the only thing that helps to distance the pain from your heart, to heal what is broken. Be good to yourself,and know she will always be near......RIP beautiful Daphne. You will forever more have a secure place in loving hearts. Please send what comfort you can to those you love and miss you so very much. Let that precious little squeak be forever etched on their minds as much as your love is forever etched on their souls. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course it was one of the hardest decisions to make, but it will never be a wrong one because it was made from the love you held for her. Believe me, it is no easier to watch the suffering that comes, and it always does, by letting the inevitable be prolonged. Medications and treatments do not cure, they cannot stop the progress.... they prolong, not halting the pain that comes, making living an existence. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, none of us can change the past. Just take one day at a time....I promised my Burt he would die at home, and it was so hard to see him suffer. I would have had a vet there in a minute if I could have. It is so much better to end the pain a day early than to be a day late.
Don't let those thoughts of those last moments rule your life. They will take on more importance than her life, they will overshadow the joy, the happiness she shared with you and that is never good. Concentrate on the joy she brought you, what a good little squeaker she was, on the the bond of love you built with her by sharing your life's journey with her for a little while. It will always be with you, it may change form, but love is spiritual, so forever eternal. she will always be as near as your thoughts and prayers, so let her comfort you, let her love bring you joy instead of sadness. As you would want for her if you were the first to go, go forward into the future with the joy and happiness that comes from loving and being loved. Be thankful for knowing that little girl and having her in your life, she is thankful for having you in hers. It would have been unthinkable to have never known her at all, even with the pain of parting.
I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers , know I will share your grief and help make the burden a little easier to bear. Time is the only thing that helps to distance the pain from your heart, to heal what is broken. Be good to yourself,and know she will always be near......RIP beautiful Daphne. You will forever more have a secure place in loving hearts. Please send what comfort you can to those you love and miss you so very much. Let that precious little squeak be forever etched on their minds as much as your love is forever etched on their souls. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Hi, Di and Bob. Thank you so much for your beautiful words. I really appreciate the reminder you, Antonio, and Les have provided...how blessed my husband and I were to have shared Daphne's life with her. When she died, I saw there was some white hair in the kitty bed...at the time, white hair could only be Daphne's. I put her hair in a little porcelain angel box because.I felt like it was the only thing I had left of her. So I thank you for the reminder she will always be with us. God bless.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Daphne, dream you deep. You walk in your family's hearts forever.

This is what I have learned in life, that love never dies. It only changes form, and continues on, still Love. Love abides. Just as you will always love Daphne, so will she always love you. Only her physical form is no longer with you. You and your brave husband helped her to put off her heavy coat of flesh and fur that could no longer support her patient heart and sweet spirit. Now she dances on sunlight, healthy and whole, waiting in a place where eternity is only a moment for you to join her in that joyous Dance.

DaphnesMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Daphne, dream you deep. You walk in your family's hearts forever.

This is what I have learned in life, that love never dies. It only changes form, and continues on, still Love. Love abides. Just as you will always love Daphne, so will she always love you. Only her physical form is no longer with you. You and your brave husband helped her to put off her heavy coat of flesh and fur that could no longer support her patient heart and sweet spirit. Now she dances on sunlight, healthy and whole, waiting in a place where eternity is only a moment for you to join her in that joyous Dance.
Hi, Mamany. Thank you so much for your beautiful words. They're bringing tears to my eyes. One of the things that really upset me after Daphne died was wondering where she was and if she was scared and alone. I still pray that God will take care of her and that she is happy and loved. I have had dreams of her. The most memorable one was that I was sitting in the passenger's seat in a truck, riding along a deserted highway. I looked out the window and Daphne was running along the road as if she were trying to catch the truck. I kept yelling to the driver that it was Daphne and to let me out of the truck, but the truck kept going, and I could not see Daphne anymore. That was heartbreaking.