CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Just found a kitten in my backyard.
Not sure if age…see picture.
Mother cat nowhere to be found.
gave it some wet food and is now dozing on the couch .
Aside from bringing it to the vet , (which we will do)
What should be done overnight with regards to feeding, etc.
I don’t want to inadvertently hurt it by not doing /giving it something it needs that the mother would otherwise give it.
I have a small cage where it can stay.
Picture attached …
Thank you
C82826D6-F7C2-45F7-85A6-62E2130AF09C.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi
Just found a kitten in my backyard.
Not sure if age…see picture.
Mother cat nowhere to be found.
gave it some wet food and is now dozing on the couch .
Aside from bringing it to the vet , (which we will do)
What should be done overnight with regards to feeding, etc.
I don’t want to inadvertently hurt it by not doing /giving it something it needs that the mother would otherwise give it.
I have a small cage where it can stay.
Picture attached …
Thank youView attachment 450288
First, ARE you willing to adopt it?
If not, and you dont have your relative or friend, you can always try with a shelter.... At this age, the probability is low they will just pts.

OK, did he ate what you gave him?? If yes, its fairly easy... Give him goats milk and whatever soft food you have. Cat wet food or baby food. Just be sure baby food isnt seasoned... No garlic.

get him a litter, you can use common sand to begin with... You will perhaps need to stimule him to go... It depends if you see if he manages
on his own...

A bath in Dawn liquid soap may be wise, to get rid of fleas - and dirt... Wash off, and be sure you dry him properly, so he doesnt get cold.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Momma isnt at hand, but this here is a good age for a semiferale to be adopted... In this age its very easy to foster them, so he will be a fully socilized cat whom is easy to adopt out...

Later on it will be more difficult... So, even if HE sees it NOW as disaster, losing momma and siblings, in the long run he was lucky, you found him, helped him, and NOW he has excellent prospect for a future life...

ps. Its not sure you must go to the vet with him NOW. Wait a little till its time for vaccinations and full deworming.
I will write more later on.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Thank you for taking the kitten in. There aren't any other kittens out there? I wonder how just one wound up in your yard. Can food is fine. Make sure kitten has water and is warm enough. Will also need a litter pan. You can use any shallow pan with dirt from outside if you don't have litter. Make sure the kitten has something soft to sleep on. Keep in an area warm enough. Be sure not to use any household cleaners or essential oils. Be careful of handling the kitten and wash your hands before and after. Don't over feed the kitten. Be careful of what you keep the kitten in. If it is a cage make sure the bars are close enough that the kitten can't get their leg stuck in between the bars.