Orphaned Kitten Questions

PawsInPause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I'm the proud surrogate mom cat for 3 kittens! I received them from a neighbor - born in her barn, originally it was a feral Mom & 6 kittens. Over the course of three days, Mom disappeared, 1 died and then 2 more disappeared. Since I've had them (3 weeks or so) things have been going well, and they are progressing nicely. (My first time with kittens, wow - lost some sleep for a few!)

They are using the litter box when we put them in there, which we just started this last week (YAY for small accomplishments!). We are starting the weaning process, (only 1 is actually trying the saucer, the other two are watching!) They are just about 4 weeks old.

Since I'm new to the orphaned kitten scene, what about vaccination schedules & wellness tests? When do those start? My vet charges $70 per kitten just for an office exam, so I'm trying to stretch their initial visit to coincide with vaccinations if at all possible.

Also, what age is appropriate to adopt out? I already have homes for all 3 (the 2 girls get to go together), but don't want to adopt them out when they're too young for social/behavioral concerns.

Any suggestions/recommendations/etc would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Eight weeks or 2 pounds is the earliest they can be spayed and neutered. This is the earliest they should receive their first set of vaccinations, as well as de-worming.

Have you asked your vet for a discount? That seems steep for a kitten exam.

Otherwise, do you have a local low-cost spay clinic? They usually also offer vaccines and de-worming services at lower costs.

The kittens can be re-homed as early as 8 weeks, though keeping them together for 10-12 weeks is ideal.

Thank you for rescuing them! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PawsInPause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, even as a NP Rescue. Somehow a kitten office visit is more than a cat office visit???? (70 vs 46). I have found several low cost clincis, just didn't know timing, etc. to get started on it. Thank you very much for your help!