Orphan kittens from feral mother

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2-1/2 weeks ago the feral cat had kittens in our garage. The cats have access to the garage for food and water and we keep it heated. She had them in the open and then moved them to a "cat bed" that is in the garage which is in the open. You can't get near her but she is fine with me touching the kittens. We live out in the country. There are 2 kittens. I had a feeling yesterday that something may have happened to her. I did not see her yesterday and she did not show up last night nor this morning. The kitties were crying this morning. I have another female outside cat that is pretty tame. She is not a big cat and she had kittens 9 days ago. There were 6 of them and none survived. I think it was just too much for her. Anyway when these kittens were crying so much she went in by them. I watched as I wasn't sure what she was going to do. Well she laid down by them and they have been trying to nurse. I'm guessing they are getting something as they soon quieted down. Will she be able to produce enough milk for them?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh wow! Odds are the answer is yes. How quickly did her litter perish? Just watch and see. The kittens quieting down is a good sign, especially if this cat comes back to them even if she leaves for small periods of time. She lost her kittens and so hopefully, she is more than happy, and capable, to have some kittens to take care of. Are you prepared to step in to help the kittens if need be? Will you be able to monitor them either way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She lost her litter 9 days ago. I'm keeping an eye on her and the kittens. She has not left them.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I certainly hope so! It takes about 2 weeks for milk to dry up under normal circumstances where the kittens mature and no longer nurse. What I am not sure of is if it could happen sooner if the mother does not nurse. But you are within that window and the kittens seem to be nursing...Given that this mom is more tame, maybe you can get a good look.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How can I get a good look? This cat allows me to pick her up and pet her. She follows me around and gets under my feet all the time. She's always trying to sneak in the house behind me. LOL

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The 'look', IMO, is in whether the kittens are seeming to be satisfied. Since she is so free in her allowance with you, maybe you can bring them all into your house in a preferably isolated area? That way you can monitor both her and the kittens?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a senior indoor cat and she does not get along with the other cats if I let them in briefly. We have a small house so really no place that I could put them where it would be isolated. I'm going to keep an eye on them and hopefully she will produce enough milk for them.