Orphan Alfie-abused kitty

loujac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new to the site and although all my cats are strays, they turn up through the catflap and then never leave, I have never had an abused cat.
I would like advice on helping a physically and emotionally abused kitty. Alfie was constantly beaten by a male and his abuse was posted on social media. I had him as a foster before Christmas but we have fallen head over heels so he is here to stay.
He was in an amazing rescue and they worked wonders with him.
He has settled very well, he is gaining confidence each day and surprisingly, he has bonded with my husband even though his abuser was a male.
He cowers and shakes if you have anything in your hands but does let you stroke him. He even purred yesterday. We are gentle around him but would like any advice on how to help his recovery further. He doesn't know how to play although today he did sniff my young cats toy. He shares his home with four other cats aged 18 month to 13 years old.
Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like between the rescue group and you, Alfie is one lucky cat and seems to be making headway already!! I don't know if this TCS article about abused cats will help, but I hope it does at least a little bit. I am also including a link to another TCS article on how to get a cat 'to like' their new caretakers. Maybe it will also be of some benefit to you.
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

yekrats

What a Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful World
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'll try to keep this short. We adopted a couple of abused cats about 3 months ago. They had been living together for the Last 5 Years so we took them both. Anyhoo, our kitty Patches hid under the couch for the first month and would only come out to eat and drink at night. We learned that when she was under there it was her safe spot and we needed to leave her alone. Looking under and talking to her was fine but don't reach in. Tubbs (very lovable) has another problem. He likes to spray/mark on our walls in the basement.

Long story short we talked to our vet about both kitties and he said they are both emotionally traumatized. Patches has fear issues and Tubbs has anxiety problems.

So my advice to you is love and patience and time. Sounds like you're already doing them. It will take time, probably a great deal of time for your kitty to come out of it. It's just like people, trauma is trauma. Hopefully your other two cats will buddy up with him and give him comfort. As far as playing goes you might try putting a tiny bit of catnip on a toy. Maybe a ball or something like that. Nothing that he could tear a piece off of and swallow like a toy mouse. Cats are famous for tearing the tails off and swallowing them. You probably already know that. Anyhoo-hoo, the catnip will attract him to the toy and he will associate it with fun! Or so we hope.
Good on you for taking him on. Happy New Year!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Thank you for joining TCS and for adopting Alfie! Where are Alfie's safe spaces/caves? I would offer caves in central areas in the room and add towers or shelves adjacent to those, so that Alfie can use as observation posts & channel his inner mountain lion. He must have felt so powerless and scared - he needs to regain his sense of being in control. I am looking forward to updates!