Organic/Natural/Paraben-free etc hair care advice

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So until I can find an organic forum (give me links if anyone has any
) I thought I would turn to good 'old TCS for advice.

I recently switched my conditioner to Garnier Fructis Pure Clean and have been noticing the top of my head gets random greasy spots. I read some reviews and it seems this is pretty widespread among users, but there was one comment that caught my eye. It basically said that normal shampoos and conditioners have all these ingredients that coat your hair and so when you switch to something more natural, your hair has to go through a transition in order to balance itself out again.

Now, what I want to know is: what do I need to do besides 'wait it out' to stop the greasy patches of hair? Will using a 'normal' shampoo make the problem continue? Do I need to be washing in a certain way? Shampooing less?

I'm not sure if there is even anyone here that can give an advice, but hey, I thought I might try.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!! I was just writing about this in my blog a few days ago...The thing is when you wash with shampoo that has sulfates in it, it strips your hair of all the natural oils, and makes your scalp produce more oil to compensate for it. So, you enter this never ending cycle of washing and washing but always getting greasy hair within a day or sometimes even less. Once you start using shampoo without sulfates in it, it will get better but what you need to do at first is just to wait it out and wear a hat or something (or use Dry Shampoo) After a few weeks your hair won't get greasy, and you can get away with not washing it as often, which is also much healthier for your hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Hi!! I was just writing about this in my blog a few days ago...The thing is when you wash with shampoo that has sulfates in it, it strips your hair of all the natural oils, and makes your scalp produce more oil to compensate for it. So, you enter this never ending cycle of washing and washing but always getting greasy hair within a day or sometimes even less. Once you start using shampoo without sulfates in it, it will get better but what you need to do at first is just to wait it out and wear a hat or something (or use Dry Shampoo) After a few weeks your hair won't get greasy, and you can get away with not washing it as often, which is also much healthier for your hair.
So basically unless I buy a non-sulfate, paraben, etc shampoo, my hair will continually be greasy now that I don't have a conditioner will parabens to make it look 'shiny?' :[ :[

Do you have a link to your blog post?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter and I don't "poo" (shampoo) at all! We use conditioner only, and a conditioner without silicones.

I quit shampooing when I had chemo, and have not gone back. My scalp cut down on oil production since my hair was no longer being stripped by the detergent in shampoo. My daughter stopped pooing over spring break and after an initial greasy phase, she also balanced herself.

We use Suave Naturals conditioner. It only costs $1.38 for almost a liter of conditioner. It does an adequate job of lifting away any oils and dirt. We follow up with a dime-sized blob used as a leave-in conditioner. Once a month or so, we scrub our scalp with baking soda and water to clarify.

Inexpensive, easy, effective. My stylist said my hair is very healthy, not nasty. You can do a search on "no poo" and find lots of info on it.

Good luck!

Cally

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only wash my hair twice a week, but I don't use any special shampoo. If I'm at Whole Foods (nearest one is in Omaha
) I'll pick up some of their store brand shampoo, but honestly I found theirs to be harsher on my hair than Suave is. I do like the idea of no parabens, though. I never thought about not using shampoo at all. . .I may have to try that. My hair gets cranky if I wash it too often