Oral Tick Treatment

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Does anyone know if there is oral tick treatments for cats. We have a feral cat, cant go near or touch him, who has over 5 huge ticks on him. I feel bad for him. Ty!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know how effective, or safe, these meds are but I'm seeing that Comfortis and Capstar have chewable tablets...there's also Flea Away (which is also for ticks), Petzlife, and Only Natural Pet has a flea and tick product as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ty so much for this information. I will look into it.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Capstar says for fleas, is it for ticks.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So i went to petco and was going to buy capstar and i advised the employee it was for a feral cat, that we cant touch and she said it wont work bc we have to put it down the cats throat. Not sure what to do. Can we break it up in pieces

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can we break it up in pieces
Is that Capstar a chewable type? Can you get one of the chewable types of tick treatments, or even if not chewable, as you're thinking break it up/crumble/crush it and add that to food along with some nice smelly bacon, or tuna...?

Or, trap him (I've read that Kentucky fried chicken works) and remove the nasty things?

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought maybe can crumble it up and put in his wet food, however, not sure if its ok to crumble it. We might catch him and get him fixed and try and bring him inside. He is going to be tough bc he is a true feral, cant go near and hisses at us and st the same time he is sweet and wants love and we want to give him love and warmth.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
shadowsrescue shadowsrescue - do you yourself know....or, do you know someone here who has practical experience with anti-tick treatments...?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not know of any tick remedies that you can give that are not topical. I have used a few for fleas, but not ticks. Having that many ticks on him cannot be good. He needs some vet care.

If you are feeding and caring for this cat, he really needs to be neutered. By feeding him you are allow him to continue to be a strong breeder. He may get into fights and is very susceptible to FIV and FELV. Please trap him, to get the ticks removed and then get him neutered.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chewy advertises a natural remedy that is said to be for fleas, ticks and mosquitoes, but I have absolutely no experience with the product. I'm having a hard time finding oral tick repellents.