Opinions on post-interview follow-ups

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I lump "thank-you notes" into this category as well.

I'm curious what other people think about post-interview follow-ups, do you do them, how long do you wait, etc? I've always read we should at the VERY least send out a thank-you note (by way that you deem most appropriate based on the company). Some say you should follow up, others say it's annoying.

I did send a follow up email today to the vet's office, as I've not heard anything, and today is a week since my interview.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It reaffirms your interest in working for someone.  Probably more effective when it goes to the person/s you would be working for rather than the HR or a large company.

Hoping you hear back.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always send a thank you note to the person who interviewed me.  Now it's usually an email.  I send it the following day, just a quick note thanking them for their time and considering me for the position.  I don't try to sell myself again, I think that was done with my resume and the interview.  I know it isn't done as much anymore, it's kind of old school, but I don't think it would be annoying.  Since it isn't as common anymore it would be a way for me to stand out a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have the managers' names we discussed - I only have first names, and yes, plural was intentional. Since we were discussing multiple positions, there were multiple managers' names brought up (and they have the same first name, to make it all the more interesting!). I don't think the lady I talked with is HR per se, but more she handles the "first interviews" among other duties. "Jack of all trades" if you will, which I can appreciate.

I sent the thank-you note the morning after the interview. And the follow-up email I sent today was just asking if there was any update, and to please let me know if there was any more information they needed from me.

Sending follow-ups seems to have mixed reviews these days. Some hiring managers like it, others don't. Some say they automatically dismiss it if anyone sends a follow-up, and others say the opposite. This makes it very frustrating because then you're left to wonder - what should I do?

I know she was passing my information along to the managers, who she expected would follow up with me soon. But I had no idea what "soon" was. So gave it a week before reaching out. I'm kinda afraid of them thinking I'm over-qualified, even though I explained the reasoning for my interest.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have the managers' names we discussed - I only have first names, and yes, plural was intentional. Since we were discussing multiple positions, there were multiple managers' names brought up (and they have the same first name, to make it all the more interesting!). I don't think the lady I talked with is HR per se, but more she handles the "first interviews" among other duties. "Jack of all trades" if you will, which I can appreciate.

I sent the thank-you note the morning after the interview. And the follow-up email I sent today was just asking if there was any update, and to please let me know if there was any more information they needed from me.

Sending follow-ups seems to have mixed reviews these days. Some hiring managers like it, others don't. Some say they automatically dismiss it if anyone sends a follow-up, and others say the opposite. This makes it very frustrating because then you're left to wonder - what should I do?

I know she was passing my information along to the managers, who she expected would follow up with me soon. But I had no idea what "soon" was. So gave it a week before reaching out. I'm kinda afraid of them thinking I'm over-qualified, even though I explained the reasoning for my interest.
You seem to have had a positive interview. Follow up is a good idea. You can often find the full names of managers and even staff on their website.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
You seem to have had a positive interview. Follow up is a good idea. You can often find the full names of managers and even staff on their website.
True, not sure the email addresses are on there though. I don't remember seeing any except the generic one for questions.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, they only have the vets' names on there, not the staff. Unless it's hiding somewhere and I just haven't found it yet.

Out of curiosity, I noticed the position is not listed anymore - not for the full time or part time (they had both out there). Not sure if they've filled the position, or if places are apt to pull these before someone is hired. I realize it's entirely possible that a decision was made to hire someone between the time of my phone interview and actual interview, and they were just finishing up interviews they'd set up. I know when I got my position, that I'd be selected (it was an internal move, and I only applied because I knew I'd be selected) but there were other external candidates that had interviews already set up, so they had to still go through with them.