Open Wound

Tipherz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sisters cat came home 4 days ago with a open wound on its leg, and now there are 3/4 more near the first one? We live 5hrs away from civilization and am wondering if there's any Home remedies? Or something we can do to help

The 1st picture is from the first day and second one is 4 days later!
received_159835273559158.jpeg
received_773184687481256.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly can't tell for sure, but maybe the wound is healing a bit? The first thing to do is stop the cat from going outside. That helps not only from stopping from further injury, but also keeps the wound from getting worse from additional debris/etc.

You can try a home remedy using chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then soak that place with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for him/her to ingest should s/he do so.

It is a start - and keep up on the pics so you can see if there is an improvement.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would try to clean it as best you can. You might call your vet or an ER Vet to ask them what product to use to help keep it clean? I know you're not supposed to use peroxide or rubbing alcohol on cats. Do you have a vet that would maybe prescribe antibiotics based on a photo? I think that's probably going to be your best bet. I would also stop letting him outside if at all possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tipherz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I honestly can't tell for sure, but maybe the wound is healing a bit? The first thing to do is stop the cat from going outside. That helps not only from stopping from further injury, but also keeps the wound from getting worse from additional debris/etc.

You can try a home remedy using chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then soak that place with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for him/her to ingest should s/he do so.

It is a start - and keep up on the pics so you can see if there is an improvement.
So we kept him the house for about 2weeks, they healed right up but then today woke up with a brand new wound.. I'm worried that's its a parasite or infection in his leg. The vet we phone pretty much said the same thing, keep him indoors, bring in if worsens
20230618_220440.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
T Tipherz It looks like your cat got bitten by another animal. There would have been bacteria under the surface of the skin which formed an abscess as the wound started to heal. Now the abscess has burst.

The best thing to do would be to take the cat to the vet to get the wound flushed out properly and get some antibiotics. Can you take him to the vet you called?