Open wound on cats neck

LivL22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have noticed this evening that my cat has an open wound on the back of his neck. It looks like a scab has been scratched off. We have cleaned it with a cloth and water and it seems to not be bleeding. Cat seems to be ok as he allows us to check the area with no fuss

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is your cat an outdoor cat, it doesn't look like a bite wound but could possibly be from catching his neck on something sharp. It looks clean so hopefully it will heal on its own but keep checking it and any sign of redness or pus he will need to see a vet. Difficult but try to stop him scratching the area and reopening the wound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LivL22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is your cat an outdoor cat, it doesn't look like a bite wound but could possibly be from catching his neck on something sharp. It looks clean so hopefully it will heal on its own but keep checking it and any sign of redness or pus he will need to see a vet. Difficult but try to stop him scratching the area and reopening the wound.
Yes he is an outdoor cat, thank you for your reply seems to be better this morning but will keep an eye on it today

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is where a Tom cat would bite to subdue a cat, it could be an abscess that burst or could be in the future. If it is, it will swell and then finally burst. Wipe down with a rag soaked with a cat wound cleaner, found at any farm supply store, soak the rag first cats hate the spraying sound. I take it he is neutered, tom cats usually ignore neutered boys, but one may have gotten territorial. Wounds like these that pass on many diseases, so make sure he is vaccinated. Especially against distemper. Outside cats show up with a lot of injuries, it is just a fact of life. Life is hard on the outside......