Open Wound in Cat Neuter, Should I Be Concerned?

NekoNekoNeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has recently been neutered and has managed to give himself this wound while grooming, I consulted the vet and they said to monitor it every day to see if it gets worse. I would just like a second opinion on this since this is my first time taking care of a neutered cat. Am I being too worried or does this look very concerning?? He is also now missing a patch of skin from his front leg about an inch tall and wide. I don't know if that's from stress or infection, please help!! Any insight would be much appreciated.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd take him back in and have that checked. It does not look infected...yet, but it does look deep. Now, is the SKIN missing on his leg, or just the fur? Have them look at that, too. And PLEASE let us know what the vet said.

I am sorry that it was a health scare that brought you to The Cat Site, but you and your boy are so very welcome here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NekoNekoNeko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no skin missing, just fur. it looks as if he got a little buzzcut on his front leg.

and thanks :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi and welcomer to TCS! :hellocomputer:

I agree with Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 or send the pix to your vet.

If it's dry, I wouldn't worry that much. Usually after they neuter a cat, they do not need to suture the surgical site unlike a spay surgery.

I'm replying you with the reply I commented in this thread :- is-it-infected.441264

The incision looks ok to me. It's normal for the surgical site to bleed a little and also the swelling is due to blood filling up the sac. It'll slowly subside in a week or two.

Just take note that there is no yellow pus or foul smelling pus. If there is, it means that the surgical site is infected and you must immediately bring your cat in to the vet.

Keep the surgical site clean and dry. Use a slightly warm damp towel and dab the area after your cat has use the litter box to clean away the litter dust.

The testosterones will take around 8 weeks to leave the system and you'll find 2 flat sac. By then, the fur should have grown back.

It's normal for him to lick the surgical area but make sure he don't over groom the area. A little running and jumping is ok but no wild play.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so happy that some of the people I trust most found this! I know quite a bit about spay incisions, but VERY little about neuter sites! The last tom I was around post-neuter was about 50 year ago, and I don't have a clue now what the incision looked like!