Open Eye Socket after surgery

KittyMom14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had her eye removed in May, they sewed it shut but it kept coming open bc of the amount of discharge she had. You see Gabriella had a fight with another cat and then got an infection in her eye that totally destroyed her eye, so it was infected when removed. They never gave her antibiotics after removal, bc she had been on some prior to removal (too many they said). Well now her eye is open socket permanently bc it won’t reclose (no useable tissue to do so, eyelid won’t stretch). Does anyone have a cat with an open socket, and if so do I have to do anything special to keep it clean, free from infection? Please, my vet has said she’s okay the way she is (actually better bc all the infection is gone now), but I worry I’m doing something wrong bc she didn’t healing with it closed like she was supposed to. This is a picture of Gabble when it was still at full drainage, now it’s completely dry (well most of the time, her tear ducts still drain like normal). Again anyone who has an open socket cat with experience on how to care for her or anything I can do to make her life easier is a great deal of help.
6E8A188B-23D2-452A-AD14-E6AF8F43D67E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I looked at previous threads on this site, and found a couple related to an open eye socket - see links below.
One Eyed Kitten | TheCatSite
Keeping A One Eyed Cat Clean | TheCatSite

You could always consider consulting with vets who specializes in ophthalmology and dermatology to see if they might have some suggestion on how to keep the socket clean - or if there is a way to eventually close the socket through the use of donor tissue or tissue from another area on Gabriella.

Hopefully, other members will come along soon and offer some solutions from personal experience.