online vet prescription service?

käsekopf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Unfortunately my kitty has come down with a UTI infection. He had one last year, was prescribed a really expensive urinary diet, and has since been on a generic one with lesser consistency (I feed him mostly regular wet with the occasional urinary can). He is still in the early phases of light straining, frequent litter box visits, and as of today reddish urine, and I want to get in quick before he feels any worse. The problem is, I know that my vet is going to try to charge me a thousand dollars again to do a multitude of tests to confirm that he has the UTI- which I already know he does. I am aware it is important to check for stones/crystals/blockages, but last time around he only had crystals and I'm more interested in getting him antibiotics ASAP so his symptoms and discomfort can't progress further. I do not think my vet is going to allow me to request the medications sans tests, especially because it's been a year. Does anyone know of a possible online vet who could prescribe for UTIs?

Thanks,
a concerned parent :(

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live on the UK and can only get a prescription from my vet. Your cat could be in pain and in your position I would take him to the vet. Having a cat with stress related UTI, I use Cornsilk and D Mannose when he has a flare and feed wet food only.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think you have much of a choice but to get at least a urinalysis done by the vet so you can give your cat antibiotics. That may cost a bit of money, but certainly not thousands of dollars. You can always call the vet, tell them that his symptoms are the same as before, and see if they would prescribe the same antibiotics without seeing him, but, if they won't, they won't - and I don't believe there is any online service that would prescribe an antibiotic either. I do think your vet will be willing to forgo other testing besides the urinalysis if you tell them you don't want to do more right now.

The products that V verna davies mentioned above are great to help try and ward off future UTIs, but once an infection has occurred, they will not help to get rid of it. Only antibiotics will do that.