Ongoing Food After Bladder Issues

chocdonuty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In Feb my little Ed was very ill with a bladder blockage which required an emergency op, plenty of meds and was a quite scary time for us both. He was totally blocked and had a lot of sludge and blood inside his bladder and the link g was inflamed for a while.
He's been fine ever since and currently mainly on Smilla urinary dry food. He has tried royal canin s/o and kattovit urinary neither of which was particularly enjoyed and always left a lot of it.
At his last visit to the vets I was told off for switching his food which makes me worried to try another but for health reasons would prefer him on a good quality wet.
He does also have 2 water fountains which I presume he enjoys although often just messes with the water!
I have 2 other cats ok not best buddies but they get along ok and only a play chase occasionally (also have feliway although not sure how effective it is especially when the windows are open!)
Anything in particular I should look for? I've heard low phosphorus is good but can't seem to find details on that on ingredients lists.
He loves Felix meaty loaf or foods with a similar texture, chunks he just licks off the gravy! Any reccomendations or advice welcome :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you are in the UK / Europe? Here are some UK suggestions of food:

Best Wet Kitten Food: Pouches/ Trays :-)
Best Dry Food Available In The Uk/zooplus
My kitten doesn't like "posh" expensive wet cat food!
UK Cat lovers, please advise new mummy
Commercial Wet Kitten Food UK

Canned / tinned foods are best for cats with urinary issues. The high water content will help keep the urine diluted which prevents crystals and other issues from forming.

Low phosphorus foods are good for cats with kidney issues. They also tend to be low protein so I'm not sure if that would be good for a cat with just urinary issues.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet is upset because they want you to keep him on a dry food after he had urinary issues??? :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::doh:

I’m obviously not a vet but I think I’m pretty good at logic and I just don’t see the logic in that. If I were you I would keep your cat on an all wet diet. I don’t believe the urinary foods are necessary if he is healed.

Low phosphorus is only necessary if your cat has been diagnosed with CKD.

Edit: I feel compelled to share a little story here.

There are 2 vets at the clinic I go to. One of my cats once was having urinary issues where she was peeing a lot. So we took in a urine sample. I received a call from one of the vets saying that the sample was inconclusive but we should put her on some urinary s/o food in case she has a dormant infection. I questioned this idea and asked to speak to the other vet at the clinic. The other vet called me and said she completely disagreed. She told me that these urinary foods are actually very bad for cats in the long run. She only uses them in severe cases. She also wasn’t convinced that my cat had an infection. She instead wanted to do more testing. After a bit of expermenting with food we found out that she was just peeing a lot because she eats a lot of raw/wet food. She is a tiny girl and gets a lot of moisture. The vet told me that the values of “normal range” that vets look to when evaluating urinary charts are based on cats that receive mainly dry diets. She also said that many vets just don’t have training in feline nutrition and go “by the book” based on the minimal information they received in vet school.

Anyway... the moral of my story is... always trust your gut, question vets on feline nutrition, and ask for 2nd or 3rd opinions.

Last edited: