One Year Anniversary Today

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It was one year ago today that I came home from urgent care with my arm in a sling due to a fractured humerus as a result of a fall in the basement. As all the energy was rushing to my shoulder to heal the rest of me was like a block of ice an so I went outside to warm up. That is the day Shaman (and later to find out the others I now feed) were just released back to my area after they were successfully TNRd. While on the surface I paid little attention because cats came and went through my yard a lot, something told me that this one was different and that my life would change in a profound way. I had no idea a year ago today that this girl would steal my heart and come to depend upon me so much as she has. With her she brought Shadow (who she now avoids) and Treasure who I suspect to be not only her best friend but her litter mate because of how they act. She also brought the elusive Noobs and Wichapi. Shaman hung around in the yard during the days I was healing from my fall but she did disappear (from my sight) for days or weeks after. My Mom saw her wander around but iI'd go a long time without seeing her. Then one day my heart broke in two as a baby bald eagle that I watched on live cam had to be euthanized due to West Nile Virus. Everyone who watched was struck with grief. I sat outside that day crying like a baby. Shaman hung closer that day keeping watch on me and I found her presence to be a comfort. As days turned into weeks into months, Shaman started approaching me more and began to talk to me in the fall. The photo here is taken 5 months after meeting her as that was first time she came that close.

Shaman stuck by through tragedies and grief, through my Mom's tirades, through racoon invasions, and other such things. She survived the bitter cold weather and although I set up a shelter for her, she never stayed, just trotted through the snow in minus 45 degrees to eat her warmed up food I put out. She started bringing Treasure to eat with her and it was 6 weeks ago that Treasure, who I suspect was totally feral and just wandered in and out of the house that she was a part of the hoarding situation, became a loving domesticated cat, snuggling up to me and wanting her hugs and pets while Shaman watched like she too wanted that. Their attitude toward Shadow has changed but I still try to find a way of sneaking food to Shadow.

Anyway, this is the day I celebrate Shaman (rightly names as she truly is a shaman) sent to me a year ago. How fitting is it that on our one year anniversary of our meeting, she came an licked the gravy from her cat food right off my fingers and rubbed her head against my hand although cautiously.

First close up photo of Shaman.

Shaman's first close up.jpg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It was one year ago today that I came home from urgent care with my arm in a sling due to a fractured humerus as a result of a fall in the basement. As all the energy was rushing to my shoulder to heal the rest of me was like a block of ice an so I went outside to warm up. That is the day Shaman (and later to find out the others I now feed) were just released back to my area after they were successfully TNRd. While on the surface I paid little attention because cats came and went through my yard a lot, something told me that this one was different and that my life would change in a profound way. I had no idea a year ago today that this girl would steal my heart and come to depend upon me so much as she has. With her she brought Shadow (who she now avoids) and Treasure who I suspect to be not only her best friend but her litter mate because of how they act. She also brought the elusive Noobs and Wichapi. Shaman hung around in the yard during the days I was healing from my fall but she did disappear (from my sight) for days or weeks after. My Mom saw her wander around but iI'd go a long time without seeing her. Then one day my heart broke in two as a baby bald eagle that I watched on live cam had to be euthanized due to West Nile Virus. Everyone who watched was struck with grief. I sat outside that day crying like a baby. Shaman hung closer that day keeping watch on me and I found her presence to be a comfort. As days turned into weeks into months, Shaman started approaching me more and began to talk to me in the fall. The photo here is taken 5 months after meeting her as that was first time she came that close.

Shaman stuck by through tragedies and grief, through my Mom's tirades, through racoon invasions, and other such things. She survived the bitter cold weather and although I set up a shelter for her, she never stayed, just trotted through the snow in minus 45 degrees to eat her warmed up food I put out. She started bringing Treasure to eat with her and it was 6 weeks ago that Treasure, who I suspect was totally feral and just wandered in and out of the house that she was a part of the hoarding situation, became a loving domesticated cat, snuggling up to me and wanting her hugs and pets while Shaman watched like she too wanted that. Their attitude toward Shadow has changed but I still try to find a way of sneaking food to Shadow.

Anyway, this is the day I celebrate Shaman (rightly names as she truly is a shaman) sent to me a year ago. How fitting is it that on our one year anniversary of our meeting, she came an licked the gravy from her cat food right off my fingers and rubbed her head against my hand although cautiously.

View attachment 290447
This photo somehow reminds me of the wordings by Jules Verne:

"I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman has that intense look on her face at all times, just like she's reading through you and sees your soul. She always did and still does today. Unlike a lot of other cats, she'll observe things with keen interest each and every time. If I break up limbs 100 times, each time she'll sit nearby curiously watching instead of running somewhere to sleep or play around like Treasure does. If I pull out the phone Shaman knows exactly what it is and sits for a perfect photo, just like she did on that first photo I took, as if she knew what I was doing. Her actions totally intrigue me.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 290447
Gorgeous kitty