One Smart Cat!

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to comment, it's funny how intelligent animals are, especially cats. For many months, I've had this "castle" cat tree as I call it (brown trixie tree with a hut thing in between two floors, climbing pedestals, and a scratching post that rises up into a bed) positioned in front of my apartment complex window (on the second floor). It's Prince's favorite, most cherished spot, also his lookout, as I call it.

On many occasions when I come home from work, he'll be watching out the window and the minute I pull up and park in the reserved spot under the car port, he begins moving and looking out the window. At first, it seemed to be maybe sound, because once I tried to trick him by slowly exiting as I watched him in the window (he was looking inwards of the apartment), walked behind my car and around the next, and began ascending the stairs...when I opened the door, same as every other time, he's all of a sudden laying on the floor in front of the door waiting for me to pet him!

Just tonight, I drove up and he looks out and sees my car, he stretches, leaves the cat castle, and plops down in front of the door. Haha, it's adorable.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
lol, they are smart critters! Do you come home at the same time each day? they pretty much learn times of the day.

I had my security camera set up in the kitchen for awhile, aimed at the door. I find they run up to the door about 5 minutes before I pull up and wait for me. Sometimes they'll sit at my bedroom window and when they see my car pulling around they'll run up.

it's a good feeling to see them waiting for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww. Well, I've never had a predictable schedule until recently and he's done it for months, definitely think he's learned my car XD

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was playing with Poppy (sadly departed) one day using a laser pen. At first she went crazy as they usually do then she suddenly stopped and slowly traced the source of the light to the pen. It was the way her eyes went from the dot of light on the floor to my hand which was intriguing. She then lost interest as if she was saying, 'I've been conned, it's not a magical thing, it's just him doing it.' It was a very definite change of attitude which I thought was really smart. R.I.P. Pop.

IMG_0014.JPG

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My childhood cats used to meet our school bus every day when we came home from school. They would just come running. I loved that. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby does that too. She'll be laying in her condo watching out the window and when she sees me walking up the front stairs, I'll see her jump down, and she'll be waiting on the other side of the door when I open it. :)

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep. It's so routine too, he got startled last night when Nicole walked in behind me lol.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s funny as people say cats don’t know their owners and not attached etc.. however Gracie hides if any one else is in the flat yet uber cockey if he or my ex . My ex told me she’d sleep all day until half an hour before I was due home from work when she’d jump up near the window waiting for me . Bless

Starlakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had a cat that did that we realized he had to recognize the specific sound of our car. Didn't matter when we came home he'd be at the door, on the roof above the door or walk toward the car as wr pulled in. Our cats now follow the car up our private road lol

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, ive got an apartment, so even more than normal I refuse to let them outside. Nikita is starting to, but Prince has always been able to associate my car with me. It is right under the window. Then maybe it's the combination of my car and someone walking up the stairs, but either way he always goes to lay down at the door. If I get in before he gets there, rarely, he'll still lay on his side expecting to be petted. That is thed routine. He lays down, let's me walk to the counter to set my stuff down, then I go to pet him. (I do the setting stuff down as a result of reading that it' best to not greet right at the door when you don't want them bolting out the door)