One Of Our Cats Is Scared Of My Husband. What Do We Do?

LeonieLunatic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some background is needed here:

My husband and I recently (a little over a month ago) adopted two cats from a private rescue. We've known the woman who runs the rescue and her cats for a while now.
Both cats are special needs, one has feline stomatitis (Cinnamon) and the other has chronic breathing issues (Pebbles).

Within the first two weeks, Pebbles got sick with an URI. We took her to the vet who prescribed her decongestants and antibiotics. My husband has more experience with cats than I do, so I left it to him to give her the pills. He also had to force feed her for a few days when she was sick because she was refusing to eat.

She's recovered from her URI just fine. However... she now thinks whenever my husband gets near her, he's going to shove another pill down her throat.

She hides under the sofa all day, doesn't even come out for food. She only comes out during the night or when he's at work to eat, use the litterbox, etc. She's still friendly with me, rubs her head on my hand, lets me pet her and usually climbs into bed and sleeps by my feet. But as soon as my husband gets up in the morning, she bolts back under the sofa.

Sometimes I can manage to coax her out using treats or toys, but she retreats back as soon as my husband moves. And I don't even mean move towards her, I mean moving in general, such as standing up from a chair or walking into the living room.

We bought a feline pheromone diffuser after my husband's sister (who's a vet tech) told us it helps reduce anxiety.

Will that help? Is there anything else we can do to get her used to him again? Should he give her time or should he keep trying by petting her, giving treats, etc.?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try using a wand toy to get her to play in front of your husband when he is just laying down or sitting on the couch. This may help her get used to his presence. It may just be that she needs some time to realize that no one is shoving pills down her throat or force feeding her. You can also try putting treats around the room with your hubby just staying still on the couch. The only other thing I can think of is to get Feliway Spray and have your hubby spray himself with it. Our vet does this in between patient's and I have noticed it seems to comfort my 10 year old female Starbuck who is scared of car rides and strangers.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats will eventually get over the fear of being medicated. With some, it's only a matter of days, but with others it can take months. Working at a shelter, I've had to give lots of meds and have found that after recovery it helps to always show the cats I'd been medicating that I'm empty-handed or am simply bringing yummy treats (they recognize the container by the second or third day) or a saucer of cat milk or cottage cheese. They're smart enough to know a tube, pill or syringe means medicine, so they relax when they see you're no longer approaching them with those horrible things in your hands.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember, too, that the cats are still in the process of getting used to the new great home you are providing them. They still are learning the daily habit patterns of their humans, and need some time for that to sink in.

Unfortunately, some of those New Human Patterns, ones with your husband especially, involved giving the kitty her meds and force feeding her. It will take some time for those memories to fade for her. For a while, Pebbles may observe your hubby's patterns from a distance until she feels "safer" (little does she know how well you guys are taking care of her!).

I hope Pebbles feels better soon!!