One of kittens pupils smaller (right side) than the other

Luscid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so today i noticed by kitten ( 6 months old) eyes were different sizes and is way more noticeable when hes in a room with a lot of light or outside, it was fine early this morning and the only thing i could think of that would cause that is that late this morning he was playing and hit his head on the coffee table when he turned around to run under it but he kept playing and everything seemed fine, he's not showing any symptoms of something being wrong and is still eating,drinking, playing and running around as normal. I've called the vet and explained the situation and they've said to just monitor him for 24hrs and see if anything changes with him, Should i be worried? they didnt seem to think it was that big of a deal considering how young he is but ya know, still worried a bit.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
From what I understand, a sudden change in pupil size can be serious or indicative of something like an injury or illness. So I am not telling you not to follow up on this with your kitten. However, one of my outdoor only TNRed ferals, and a very unfriendly one at that, has had this her whole life. She is three now and evidently nothing serious has gone wrong. I don't believe I can retrap her, even if I wanted to, and every day when I bring her meals she hisses and spits at me, so we are not going to the doctor any time soon.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me that uneven pupil size can indicate infection somewhere. So your vets advise to monitor is a good one. It may have been there for a few days and you didn't notice it. I really think if it was because of a hit head, he would be acting confused and different. If he stops eating, hiding, etc. get him in right away and check for infection. If he continues to act normally it just might be something he has.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not worried at this point, but certainly watchful. Should you notice any changes in eating, sleeping, activities (play, litter box, etc), then don't waste any time taking him in. But for now, careful monitoring.