One ear warm...the other cold...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy was dx with cancer (mouth) in January after a dental (but it existed before that...but nobody told me). After teeth extractions, she bounced back to Lucy again, although, I knew it would be mostly short-lived. She gets Gabapentin and meloxicam (vet determined the benefits outweigh the risks in Lucy's case...and her bloodwork was free and clear...she is about 20yo. She's been doing ok...when she seems to slow down the eating, she gets a bit of stimulant on her ear and she is up and running again. She kicks the cat nip toy around, chases her tail...most things you'd expect (or not since she is 20).

At night, she sleeps on me. I don't even get the blankets all the way up and she's climbing on me. I'm guessing the comfort and security come into play. ANYWAY..so, tonight I was letting her and noticed one ear was considerably warmer than the other. The other actually feels cold. The cold side is one same side as her tumor. This alarmed me as she was not laying in her head or anything. She's been in me for a few hours and it's still warm...almost a bit too warm (that or I'm starting to panic). Is this common for a cat? I mean, even without an underlying issue? If it were a fever, wouldn't the meloxicam nip that? She acts ok...obviously, with cancer, she may be a bit less affectionate at times or just wants to be left alone, but she isn't hiding. She is eating. She still asserts her Queen-ly-ness on the other two by going up to them and giving them a bat on the face.
Lucy still, though, can get frequent boughts of twitching (mostly her eye on the impacted side) and these jolt/shock-like things. Sometimes not many..some more frequent. Her second eyelid (the one not seen usually) is about half closed. Sometimes not quite that far. That is on the impacted side.

Is there anything I can do to help this or is this "normal" due to her illness?

Thx in advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i trust you alternate ears when giving her an appetite stimulant, and also clean them to prevent buildup? I suppose it is possible for her to have a reaction to the meds in only one ear, although it would seem odd.

Given the other symptoms she has - all on the side of the tumor, you probably should consult with the vet and see what they have to say. All of this could be related to the tumor.

Overall, unless something else is going on, it sounds like is she is doing well despite the tumor. Did you ever have it confirmed as cancer by a vet who specializes in oncology?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know what??? I bet it is the med!!! That would completely make sense. We do clean her ear before a new application. I think we will try the other ear next time. We don't need to do it frequently....it appears to get her going for a good amount of days. This morning, it is cooler like the side.
We did not opt for a biopsy due to the cost..we did not have the extra money but before we made that decision, I talked to her surgeon in-depth and she said it is cancer due to many factors she saw. The surgeon said she does not think it has spread at this point and they were absolutely awed at how clean Lu's bloodwork is considering her age. And, the Gabapentin slows down the shocks/twitching so I'm thankful for that. Lucy is quite the trooper. She does have days where she does not play...doesn't eat a lot...and just kind of keeps to herself...and has a ton of twitching/jerking-shock-tyoe type of thing...but so far, the good days are outnumbering the bad and I stay in contact with the vet. I sent email to them last night about her ear, but the med sounds like it can be the culprit. Thank you so much for the insight!!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy was dx with oral cancer in January. She is on gabapentin and meloxicam and has been doing pretty well. This morning, she was in her litter box as usual. She jumped out (as I thought to be normal when she's done), went into the bathroom, and resumed the position she had in the litter box. I didn't stop her as I wanted to see what was going on. She's NEVER gone outside of the box in her 20 years. She left the bathroom. She did not urinate nor defecate. She went into the bedroom and cleaned her bottom. Then, she went back to the box. She howled but was able push out a small amount. It was diarrhea but it wasn't dry and hard, either. It was shiny as the light was reflecting on it. She jumped out of the box walking a bit bow-legged, went back in the bedroom, licked her bottom, went back to box, produced nothing, came out into the living room, vomited up nothing. I have no idea what to do. I'm going to put a call into the vet but thought I'd ask here, as well. She eats...mostly canned foods and she is drinking. This is the first I've seen of this, but we also do have two other cats so I'm not able to always watch who goes and does what. :(. Appreciate any help.

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Lucy! I’m so sorry to hear this!

You’re definitely doing the right thing by having her vet checked - let us know!

Morgana has an issue with constipation too - she had to have a blockage removed as a kitten and the vet warned it may continue to be an issue since it’s happened before. She tends to be either a log or smaller, round multiple poops (it depends on protein! Morgana can’t tolerate beef at all). What I tend to do to help Morgana is add extra hydration to her canned meals (mostly just some water!). She also gets a pinch of fibre in the form of psyllium husk, and finally we rotate some probiotics (Adored Beast Love Bugs and Feline Gut Soothe). This seems to help reduce the amount of constipation. Lots of love to you both.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure if is constipation, but it does sound like it despite what she produced not being hard. Shiny suggest mucous, and howling/vomit reaction sounds like it could be from straining. Bur, neither of these meds are normally thought to cause constipation. Gabapentin could cause an abnormal gait. but I am also not sure that her walking as she did is the same thing.

Is she prone toward constipation?

I would definitely see what your vets says. You might save (and refrigerate) the stool in case the vet would want to analyze it. They can do that even with some litter on it, so don't worry about that part. I wouldn't try treating it on your own until after you have spoken with the vet.

Last edited:

Morgana’s Human

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I completely forgot to add - definitely ask your vet before giving anything! Everything that Morgana is given has been cleared by her vet - fingers crossed your vet can give you some answers.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We thought for sure this was Lucy's last day with us, but the vet said it's not her time yet...just by walking in and seeing her.. <3 She is not constipated. He said he didn't feel anything but did suggest due to the nature of the behavior and the picture of the stool, it is kind of like colitis. Her sphincter is squeezing and that is making her feel as though she is not done going...that is why she kept going back. Lucy is hydrated just fine...she is eating...she shows interest in things she loves (she cannot resist getting into a box and she did that today), she is social, but she is 20 years old so she will have days that are not so great and she will be like an elderly person, but he explained right out about her tumor and what to expect. These people are just amazing with her. So, I flipped my lid and lost all control on the way to the vet....for nothing.... and I will be repeating that behavior when the time comes. Holy hell it's hard...I forgot how hard it is..it's been 17 years! The next question is, will I be able to adopt again or will it hurt too much? We still have 2 others that are young bt they are not really MY cats...they aren't bonded with me like Lu is. :( Thank you for the input!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, Lucy was dx with what appears to be colitis. We were given a med (Metronidazole) for her and she received the first dose a few hours ago. She is now doing again what she did yesterday that prompted the vet visit. She gets in the box and tries to go...can't...jumps out...paces...gets back in...can't go...tries to go elsewhere...can't...jumps back in...actually goes....but keeps trying to go again and again. Do we just let her continue to do this? I feel so helpless not knowing how to help her. The vet did not feel anything in her abdomen and said she is not constipated, though, she did throw up yesterday and today while pacing around. He also did say she feels as though she is not done eliminating and that's why she keeps going back (something about the sphincter constructing?).
I feel horrible for her. Is there anything I can do to help her when this happens? It's so sad:(

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Were there any diagnostics done? X-rays or bloodwork? If not, you might want to consider getting a feline only vet to help her.

Is she urinating normally?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. Were there any diagnostics done? X-rays or bloodwork? If not, you might want to consider getting a feline only vet to help her.

Is she urinating normally?
She is urinating normally. I showed the picture of her stool and he said it's consistent with inflammation...like colitis. He checked her gut and she had no backup of feces at all and he said she feels as though she still needs to go because of the spasms in her rectal area. She is on a med to help her gut. Her stool does have mucus. She's well hydrated..she plays...she eats...she jumps in empty boxes...she bats at the other two cats when they are in her way...just this strange mucus stuff going on. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.