Ondansetron and constipation?

-Cory-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone's cat experienced constipation as a side effect of ondansetron? My cat Pudge is being treated for hepatic lipidosis and is at the point where she'll eat on her own if she's dosed with ondansetron and mirataz. Today she was acting a little uninterested in food again and I was assuming we were backsliding a little, but I found out she's been constipated and think that's probably causing the issue. Did anyone still dose with the ondansetron and treat any resulting constipation, or did you have to stop the meds?

I'm going to call the vet in the morning, but was interested to hear other people's experiences.

Pic of the trouble maker for tax.

20210228_100639.jpg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a cute little stinker!

I don't have experience with ondansetron. But a quick google search for "zofran cats side effects" came up with:

Side effects are uncommon. Rare side effects may include constipation, sleepiness, or head shaking.
Source: Ondansetron.

You could try adding Miralax to her food to bring more moisture into her stools. 1/8 to 1/4 tsp twice a day with food is a good place to start. Adjust the dose up or down as you need to. Since it is indigestible, its dose is self-limiting: when things get too loose, reduce the dose.

Egg yolk is another home remedy you can try for constipation. I would try 1/2 tsp once a day and see how that treats her. Egg yolk can be a powerful laxative.

Try the Miralax first. It may take a few days to get through her back log. (So to speak. 😹 ) Maybe try Miralax this week. And move to egg yolk next week if you're not getting the results from Miralax.

Last edited: