Once Again---The Great Vacuum Debate

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

This months consumer reports has a small article on pet hair vaccums. They liked a Hoover Wind Tunnel model.
I stopped at my local vaccum shop as I would rather have a cannister vs an upright an the owner recommened at Simplicity (at $700). My Eureka sanitaire is 13-15 yrs old and will bit the dust soon! He carries a wide range of vaccums and does not like Dyson's even though he carries them. He mentioned he gets 3-5/week in for repair jobs. He also mentioned that many run into problems once they reach 3-5 yrs of age.

I'm waiting if I can until the Consumer Reports issue comes out with recommendations.
problem with Consumer Reports is that they don't have a big enough brands of vacuums - it's the usual brands - Hoover, Eureka, Kenmore, etc. - but, at least the reviews they do give are very helpful

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought two uprights - one the recommendation of a repair shop - the company was going out of business - Sharp, I think, - and the other I bought after reading reviews on Amazon.com - wanting to get a vacuum to pick up all the cat fur.

Funny thing, the BOSS (Eureka), that I bought - that thing is -is- it's sooo heavy and moving it around is difficult - it's powerful, though. BUT, the exhaust comes out of the front of the vacuum so when you're vacuuming it blows all the cat hair up in the air.
-
I finally resorted to self help and put a cloth over the air vent - that helps a little.

I'm thinking my next vac will be a canister - but??? might consider the rave reviews I'm finding here about the Shark.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I stopped at my local vaccum shop as I would rather have a cannister vs an upright an the owner recommened at Simplicity (at $700).
I owned a Simplicity before I owned the Kenmore and frankly, I didn't think it was worth the money. It was worthless on floors and I had that vacuum in the shop for repairs more than any other vacuum cleaner than any other. Stupid things broke like the on/off switch, the plastic clip where you wrap the cord, and finally the grip handle cracked. Brand new it worked great on carpets, but it lost it's suction to some degree after about 3 years. On floors it would simply shoot the debrie out the back towards your feet. And it was HEAVY and hard to maneuver. If I were to spend that much money, I'd go for an Oreck or Dyson. I bought the Kenmore when I realized I could buy 3 of those to 1 Simplicity.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Target's ad in today's Sunday paper has a Shark Navigator for about $149?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Target's ad in today's Sunday paper has a Shark Navigator for about $149?
I looked that up on Target's website (the nearest Target is 1 1/2 hours away). Is this the vacuum everyone is talking about?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I looked that up on Target's website (the nearest Target is 1 1/2 hours away). Is this the vacuum everyone is talking about?
Yep, this should be it... Do you have a costco close to you? I hear the walmart version doesn't come with the pet hair tool, which is really a great tool...

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
unfortunately, I've never even seen a Costco and have no idea how far I'd have to go to find one.
DH is on vacation this week; we'll be taking day-trips and we always stop at Target. Looks as if I may be getting a new vacuum in a couple of days.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

unfortunately, I've never even seen a Costco and have no idea how far I'd have to go to find one.
DH is on vacation this week; we'll be taking day-trips and we always stop at Target. Looks as if I may be getting a new vacuum in a couple of days.
That's a great Target price. Also, if they don't have it, and there's no Costco, try a Bed, Bath & Beyond. They sell it at full $199 price, but you can download a 20% off coupon, if you don't get one in the mail. That brings is down to $160.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

That's a great Target price. Also, if they don't have it, and there's no Costco, try a Bed, Bath & Beyond. They sell it at full $199 price, but you can download a 20% off coupon, if you don't get one in the mail. That brings is down to $160.
We do have a Bed, Bath, and Beyond here, but I've never been in it. It might make more sense to get a vacuum here in town than an hour and a half away---just in case there's a problem. Thanks for the tip!