OLIVE OIL FOR CONSTIPATION?

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any thoughts, or maybe other suggestions. My cat hasn’t pooped in almost five days now. I’ve increased water, and been giving him pumpkin with wet food since yesterday evening. I read olive oil could help.
(Constipation is related to amputation and pain meds.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does your vet have any recommendation on how to relive the constipation? Miralax can be helpful. Ask your vet about that. It's on OTC Human laxative and you can buy the cheaper store generic equivalent (only ingredient must be polyethylene glycol 3350). If you're outside the US, polyethylene glycol 3350 is sold under various names (RestorLax in Canada, Osmalax in Australia, not sure about Europe). If the vet approves Miralax, ask what dose to start with. It's generally no more than 1/2 teaspoon daily. Mix the dose in some water to dissolve and then mix into canned food.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone have any thoughts, or maybe other suggestions. My cat hasn’t pooped in almost five days now. I’ve increased water, and been giving him pumpkin with wet food since yesterday evening. I read olive oil could help.
(Constipation is related to amputation and pain meds.)
Hi Smokey&Charlie Smokey&Charlie ...
Contact your Vet ASAP.
If your cat has not pooped in almost 5 days...then that sounds like an emergency to me.
Possible impaction. Especially if he is still eating...and the poop is not coming out.
Whatever food goes in...something should be coming out.

He may need an emergency Enema.
(my vet was worried after three days of no pooping...though my cat had entirely different issue.)

(Pumpkin can help in simple constipation, but may also cause too much fiber, and blockage, too...depending on the cause of the constipation...eg, is it the pain meds causing slow motility)
Hoping your cat gets better fast.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to second cat nap cat nap 's suggestion that you get your cat seen...ASAP. Five days is too long. If there has been NO POOP in those five days, you could face an intestinal rupture soon.