Older Cat Response To New Kittens

JNic18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats that I've had for about 2.5 years since they were babies. In May I rescued and started fostering 2 kittens. Recently we started letting them roam about our apartment while supervised to socialize with our 2 resident cats. When they're not roaming about we put them in the guest room with the door closed with a litter box and toys. One of my resident cats (Petey) has adjusted fine and has no issue with the little ones. My other resident cat (Penny) is having trouble adjusting, hissing/growling at them, hiding and even lashing out occasionally at Petey. Is there anything I can do to help her calm down and be comfortable with the kittens? We're hoping they'll get adopted soon but if they don't they'll be here for a while and I don't want Penny being in a constant state of stress.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you done scent/site swapping? Since Petey has adjusted well have him in with the kittens a lot of the time. Maybe he can teach them how to properly cat while Penny is getting accustom to their scents.

Does Penny have high places to go when the kittens are out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JNic18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't tried the scent swapping but we have let Penny explore their room while they're not in it and she doesn't like that very much either and will push herself into the corner. While they're out, if she's not skulking around, she'll hide behind the keurig on the counter in the kitchen, sit on a barstool or hide under the dining table on one of the chairs. We have a cat tree too but the kittens have figured out how to climb it. I'll have to get something I can scent swap with since they don't have anything that really belongs to them that would have their scent. Ideas for objects? Also, is Penny's reaction a female thing? The 2 kittens are also female.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All normal behavior and perfectly ok, hissing and growling and even a little swatting is ok as that is how cats communicate. The older cats home is invaded by little ones and she isn't thrilled or interested in sharing. They come to her and she says no in cat language. Lashing out at Petey is redirected aggression, shes irritated at everyone now. She may even hiss or swat at you, but it isn't personal.

Feliway could help, calming collars, scent swapping as mentioned above, and time. Be patient. Her life was turned upside down and she needs to take time to be ok with it. It could take days or months.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the scent swapping but we have let Penny explore their room while they're not in it and she doesn't like that very much either and will push herself into the corner. While they're out, if she's not skulking around, she'll hide behind the keurig on the counter in the kitchen, sit on a barstool or hide under the dining table on one of the chairs. We have a cat tree too but the kittens have figured out how to climb it. I'll have to get something I can scent swap with since they don't have anything that really belongs to them that would have their scent. Ideas for objects? Also, is Penny's reaction a female thing? The 2 kittens are also female.
It sounds like she's not ready to have them in the same room as her. She's your guide. Take a piece of their bedding and bring it out where she can get a small dose of their scent. I like receiving blankets because they are inexpensive and small enough that a cat can easily wrestle/play with it.

I would still have Petey spend time with them if he's interested. The socializing with be to their benefit even if Penny never wants them in her house and you find other homes for them.