Older cat losing fur

StacheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my wife and I have been taking care of a 20-year-old female cat. She is in the early stages of kidney desease. She drinks alot of water and is super finicky with food...only wants treats.
Came home yesterday evening and there was fur all over the carpet. She had a bald patch below her mouth. I know the other cats (3) we have may pick on her once in awhile. Maybe a fight.
This morning there was more fur downstairs and when my wife woke up there was fur all over the bed. She now has bald patches above her eye and the top of her head. We have a vet appointment later this afternoon.
What is the likely cause??

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
So my wife and I have been taking care of a 20-year-old female cat. She is in the early stages of kidney desease. She drinks alot of water and is super finicky with food...only wants treats.
Came home yesterday evening and there was fur all over the carpet. She had a bald patch below her mouth. I know the other cats (3) we have may pick on her once in awhile. Maybe a fight.
This morning there was more fur downstairs and when my wife woke up there was fur all over the bed. She now has bald patches above her eye and the top of her head. We have a vet appointment later this afternoon.
What is the likely cause??
Thats not good for your other cats to be picking on her or fighting with her..shes pretty old..bless her heart..
How old are these cats that are picking on her??
My opinion I think it was a fight
And old as she is and the places you see on her face..I imagine clearly states she lost
Shes too old for these other cats to be picking on her
.shes a geriatric kitty

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are taking her to the vet as the list is kinda endless from stress to allergic reactions to something, hotspots, ringworm and other parasites.

It very well might even be a fight as you suggested based on the location but best looked at by the doctor as she's elderly.

Why and how often do the other kitty's pick on her? Anything you've noticed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StacheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm glad you are taking her to the vet as the list is kinda endless from stress to allergic reactions to something, hotspots, ringworm and other parasites.

It very well might even be a fight as you suggested based on the location but best looked at by the doctor as she's elderly.

Why and how often do the other kitty's pick on her? Anything you've noticed?
The cat is strictly indoors only.She usually just stays on top of the couch She doesn't really interact with the other three cats at all. I have heard that other cats will pick on cats that are old and sick,I'm not sure if this is the case. We cleaned all the fur from last night and again it was all over the place this morning and more bald patches.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat is strictly indoors only.She usually just stays on top of the couch She doesn't really interact with the other three cats at all. I have heard that other cats will pick on cats that are old and sick,I'm not sure if this is the case. We cleaned all the fur from last night and again it was all over the place this morning and more bald patches.
Keep in mind you can bring things in on your shoes or coats etc. The number of times I've heard of fleas coming in on someone's shoes or pantleg base has been a lot. (Very glad she is indoors as its less likely but still possible.)

Poor kitty. Hopefully its something very simple.

I've read similar about cats attacking other cats that are ill or "smell' different due to changes in their body. I'm assuming your not noticed any injuries, just the fur?

StacheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep in mind you can bring things in on your shoes or coats etc. The number of times I've heard of fleas coming in on someone's shoes or pantleg base has been a lot. (Very glad she is indoors as its less likely but still possible.)

Poor kitty. Hopefully its something very simple.

I've read similar about cats attacking other cats that are ill or "smell' different due to changes in their body. I'm assuming your not noticed any injuries, just the fur?
The patches are white, no irritation. Just started yesterday while we where at work. Kinda stumped on this one myself.
She not crying or acting weird. Minor scratching that I can see.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The patches are white, no irritation. Just started yesterday while we where at work. Kinda stumped on this one myself.
She not crying or acting weird. Minor scratching that I can see.
I would expect to see more than minor scratches with the hair loss. Could be she's stressed.

I'm glad you are taking her to the vet as these kinds of things are best resolved with the pros. I hope it's something minor.

Please do let us know how you make out with her and how you are as well.

XOXOXO

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes its true because they cant fight back
Old and sick kitties need extra care and attention and protected cause they are not as strong as they used to be

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I would expect to see more than minor scratches with the hair loss. Could be she's stressed.

I'm glad you are taking her to the vet as these kinds of things are best resolved with the pros. I hope it's something minor.

Please do let us know how you make out with her and how you are as well.

XOXOXO
Yes please do keep us updated

StacheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
S StacheCat How are things going?
Thank you for asking
Her health went way down hill later in the day. She was hiding in areas she has never been before. Finally got her to the vet. Kidney failure (full renal faiure)lblood work not promising at all,waay under weight. Right at the line of suffering. Spent one more night with her and today we take her back in so she can be at peace.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for asking
Her health went way down hill later in the day. She was hiding in areas she has never been before. Finally got her to the vet. Kidney failure (full renal faiure)lblood work not promising at all,waay under weight. Right at the line of suffering. Spent one more night with her and today we take her back in so she can be at peace.
S StacheCat I'm so, so very sorry to hear this. It's never easy. I'm glad you we able to at least have one more night with her to say goodbye and spend a bit of time. XOXOXOXOXOXOXO Massive hugs and love being sent to you right now.

If you want to take about her, pay tribute, post pics of her or anything - there is a wonderful spot on the forum (if you haven't seen it yet) where you can do so...

Crossing the Bridge

Again - very sorry for your loss. XOXOXOX many hugs.