Older cat hurts new kitten

Spoiledcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm feeling really guilty but I really need help. I had cats for many years but made many mistakes with this introduction. I had a older cat for 18 years and got a Holy Birma named Minna when she was 4 years old. She is from a cattery and had kittens there 4 times. She is very clingy and always want to lick my hands. Both cats never really liked each other but tolerated each other - I'm living with my sister, so every cat had "her" human, room, toys. My beloved cat died last year and I thought that Minna would love to have a kitten, to groom and play. I got a very confident and energetic 3 month old British Shorthair named Mochi. I skipped the introduction phase because I thought she would love him like one of her kittens. Big mistake! She hates him, stalks him, corners him and hurt him (he had a claw in his tail and a bloody ear). He on the other hand growls and hisses at her, whenever he sees her. We tried for two months with them getting along - another mistake which I know now. I should have separeted them much sooner. The fighting got worse amd worse, culminating in Mochi having a bloody ear. We have them now separeted in two rooms, they can explore the flat but not together. I'm buying a door with netting so they can see but not hurt each other. So I'm starting from the absolut beginning. I helpful for every tip and suggeston. Please don't berate me, I'm feeling bad enough already. The introduction with Minna and my beloved older cat went well, I've never would have thought that she can be so extremly agressive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spoiledcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Minna is 8 years and Mochi 5 months

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its very unusual for an adult to intentionally hurt a kitten. She may have health issues causing her pain and discomfort making her grouchy. Certainly you could back up and do the proper introduction you should have done in the first place. However, it may well be pointless if the 18 year old has something like arthritis or similar making her grouchy. I'd separate, take the 18 year old to the vet, and reevaluate thereafter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spoiledcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its very unusual for an adult to intentionally hurt a kitten. She may have health issues causing her pain and discomfort making her grouchy. Certainly you could back up and do the proper introduction you should have done in the first place. However, it may well be pointless if the 18 year old has something like arthritis or similar making her grouchy. I'd separate, take the 18 year old to the vet, and reevaluate thereafter.
No the 18 year old was my older cat, he died last year. I now only have Minna (8 years old). She is aggressiv towards Mochi (5 month). I just wrote of my other cat who died, because she got along with him.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No the 18 year old was my older cat, he died last year. I now only have Minna (8 years old). She is aggressiv towards Mochi (5 month). I just wrote of my other cat who died, because she got along with him.
Gotcha. I might still start with a vet visit, because it really is very unusual for an adult to attack a kitten with true intent to injure.

Either way, absolutely back up and do the traditional introduction process in full. Well, maybe you can skip scent swapping since the kitten's smell is probably already everywhere. How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite