Old cat changes

Sarah 1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Scared as hell..

I have a 13 year old male...has been with us for 4 months now.

Hé was neglected.

I have a bad feeling..

Bagheera is changing. Attacked a female twice. Broke a tooth during fighting.

Has a Black spot on tongue, a hairless shiny lower lip. And a small lump on belly.
Also suddenly diarrhea.

Already called the vet. They suspect kidneys and are ging to do bloodwork. But because they are busy and civiele lockdown the appointment is net week.

But i lost a dog and cat to cancer. This deceased sweetheart had intestinal cancer and when she got diarrhea it was over in a month.

Bagheera is a Black cat with Black skin. Can I see if it is tumorous?

Bagheera eats, drinkt, is playing. But also sleeps more and shows sudden aggression. He is very panicky about carriers and vets and becomes the devil when he sees a carrier.

What do you think?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's likely striking out because he's in some kind of pain or discomfort. Cats hide their pain. But their tolerance for being annoyed goes down. Changes in behavior should start with a vet visit before going down the rabbit hole of behavior reasons.

Bloodwork is a good start. If you want to screen for lymphoma, an ultrasound will be needed. Cancer usually doesn't show up in blood work. Start with the blood work and go from there. Of course, with an older cat, even if they find what they suspect in the blood work, that still doesn't rule out the possibility of other things going on. You may still want to go through with the ultrasound just to make sure there isn't anything else going on. I'd hate for you to miss something treatable because the vet was single-minded in his/her focus.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am only going to address the black spots and possible tumors....on an animal with darker skin it is impossible for the non medical person to really determine if something is a malignant tumor or not. Call the vet's attention to whatever places on his body concern you.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
For carriers,I keep mine in my closet so a good time to do it is when they're sleeping. Pick him up,take in closet,and shut the door. If you don't have a walk in closet,bedroom or bathroom. Just be sure he doesn't hear you picking up the carrier. Mine are mesh so quieter