Okay to mix slippery elm and cranberry powder?

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give my kitties a small dose of slippery elm, daily, to reduce hairballs and to prevent constipation (I squirt the slippery elm into their mouths with a syringe, as they don't especially care for the flavor). I mix up a batch of the syrup each week and keep it in the fridge, between uses. I have also been trying to add cranberry powder to their food (to ward off UTI's), but, only small amounts, as, they seem not to like the flavor. I am wondering if there would be any issue or possible interaction if I mixed in the cranberry powder with the cooled slippery elm syrup and gave that to my kitties together. I can't find information that makes me think there would be any reason for that to cause a problem, but, wanted to get thoughts from you all. My vet wouldn't really have much insight into this, because, though he's an excellent cat-only vet, he's not really into natural remedies. This is the cranberry powder that I use. Super Snouts Urinary Berry Urinary Tract Supplements for Cats and Dogs

Thanks for any advice. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All I can tell you is that if a cat is given medication, it's not supposed to be given with slippery elm bark because it coats the digestive tract and prevents the meds from being absorbed. This could also happen with the cranberry powder.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if you are interested, but you might try pure D-Mannose rather than cranberry powder. It is pretty much flavorless, but I have heard some say that it can change flavor once added to food. Fortunately, that has not been the case with my cat. I add 1/4 tsp of pure D-Mannose to a 3 oz can of food, so maybe that is why, as the amount is not enough to alter the flavor of the food. Knock on wood - I have been giving my cat pure D-Mannose for the past 2-3 years, and she has essentially been free of UTIs since then, where before she was getting recurring UTIs.
Amazon.com: WellnessPartners UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Non GMO Organic Source Powder 65gram jar : Pet Supplies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried D-Mannose before with my kitties, adding it to their water. It might have been a coincidence, but, one of the kitties threw up after having some. I might try it again, maybe add it to their food. I do usually make it a point to separate their dose of slippery elm from meds by at least 2 hours (they're not on oral meds, at the moment, aside from transdermal methimazole). But, I thought maybe I could kill two birds with one stone by combining the slippery elm and cranberry powder. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started the D mannose recommended here about 5 days ago, and, one of my kitties had a bit of diarrhea two days ago. Today, the same kitty had a bit of a loose stool (not full on diarrhea). I had cut the dose in half yesterday, as, it seems to be bothering my cat's tummy. Has anyone else noticed diarrhea or loose stool when starting your cat on D mannose?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never had a problem with giving Feeby 1/4 tsp a day from day one. But maybe you could try to reduce the amount, and perhaps gradually increase it over time. Feeby is a big girl, so she might need more than your cat.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are in the 9.5 to 10 pound range, so, they're not very big cats. Maybe a smaller dose and increasing it a little at a time will work better.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are in the 9.5 to 10 pound range -- so, they're not very big cats. So, maybe starting at a smaller dose and working up to 1/4 of a teaspoon a day will work better.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a follow up to my questions. I really appreciate the input here. :) My two cats were diagnosed with a UTI a month ago, due to bacteria being found in their urine sample. They both had a 2-week course of compounded doxycycline (my cats don't do well on Clavamox and I don't feel comfortable with them taking Covenia or a flouroquinolone antibiotic). They had a follow up yesterday and one of the kitties tested as no bacteria in her urine (I'm still awaiting results of the 24 hour test). The other kitty still had bacteria in her urine. So, a urine sensitivity test is being done to see what bacteria is in her urine. Assuming the bacteria is something that needs to be treated, what might be effective antiobiotics to treat a UTI, aside from Clavamox, Covenia, or flouroquinolone antibiotic. I am hoping to start my cats on D mannose, once the UTI is resolved, to prevent future UTIs.

One last question; I give my cats a small dose of slippery elm daily, to prevent hairballs. Would that be a problem, as far as exacerbating a UTI?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the vet is doing a sensitivity test, it will show what types of antibiotics that the bacteria is most susceptible to.

Given that one of the things slippery elm bark can help with is soothing inflammation of mucus membranes, including the urinary tract, I would not see how it could exacerbate a UTI.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I understand that the sensitivity test will be show what types of antibiotics are able to treat the bacteria. I'm guessing that the bacteria will probably be e coli, since that is very common. But, I'm just trying to anticipate what antibiotics might be an option if it is e coli, because, my cats can't take the above listed antibiotics. This particular kitty is sensitive to meds, and, I'm just trying to be proactive and know what the antibiotic options might be. She seems to do well with doxycycline, but, I doubt that our vet will want to try that, again, since her urine sample came back as still having bacteria.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When the vet originally diagnosed the UTI a month ago, she said that if our cats were retested and bacteria was still present, they would do the sensitivity test, and, it might turn out that the bacteria is a 'harmless' forms of bacteria that wouldn't need to be treated. I'm hoping when the results of the sensitivity test come back, that will be the case. My cat doesn't seem to be having UTI symptoms, from what I've observed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But, I'm just trying to anticipate what antibiotics might be an option if it is e coli, because, my cats can't take the above listed antibiotics.
I have no idea and wouldn't want to even venture a guess because there are different strain species within a given genus of a bacterium which could require different antibiotics. But the vet will tell you which ones would be best and the two of you can decide together.

My cat has had bacteria in her urine on a number of occasions, some related to e-coli and some that were labeled as non-pathogenic, so no treatment was needed. In all of her cases, she has almost never presented with symptoms. So, I know I can't rely on her not having an infection based on her lack of symptoms.

But hopefully you are right, and she won't need any more antibiotics. :crossfingers:

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, FeebysOwner. I appreciate your input. 🙂

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty who had the UTI ended up testing positive for E-coli, and, with the vet, we chose to treat the UTI with compounded liquid amoxycillin (mixed with a fish flavor). The amoxicillin seemed to work well to kill the UTI, but, it did affect her appetite and she lost about a pound while she was on it. She finished the antibiotic about 2.5 weeks ago. And, I have started giving her D Mannose, but, I am still noticing it is giving her diarrhea (the other kitty seems to have no reaction to it). I tried giving her a 1/4 teaspoon dose per day, she got diarrhea. So, I reduced the dose to 1/8 teaspoon, still diarrhea. I am wondering if I should give up on the D mannose, since, if I have to keep reducing the dose, will she be getting enough to do any good?

I found this product on Amazon that I would like to try. I did a quick search of the ingredients, specifically, the couch grass and bearberry to make sure that there would be no issues or danger for cats. I didn't find anything that made me think those ingredients would be a problem. I'd love if any of you might have thoughts on the safety of this product's ingredients. Hopefully, it will help to prevent UTI's. Having my kitty on an antibiotic is not a fun scenario. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B53WDY4M/?tag=thecatsite
AMAZON.jpg