Oily secretions on Maine Coon's tail

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am happily owned by a pedigree silver-red mainecoon since 3 yrs. I don't often see Maine reds that resemble him.
1. My question is have your Maine coons or any owners you know experience an oily secretion from a gland sac on the tail proximal to the caudal vertebrae ?
Gen. Vets. I have taken mine to, don't even notice it.
I only ask out of curiosity, I do not seek medical advice. He has a clean bill of health. It seems the oil keeps his coat :camera:shiny and frizz free.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I understand this, yes it does happens. Its no medical problem, sooner a problem in preparing for Shows... The standard is to wash them with some fat solving detergent. In Sweden we commonly use the Yes liquid soap, which is especailly good at dissolving fat on plates, forks and such....
I suppose you could try with Dawn soap... Its in any case completely harmless.

Sa'ida Maryam Sa'ida Maryam

ps. You are welcome to attach a pic on your cat... So we will see a good example of a purebred MCO

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maine Coons are known to have a somewhat greasier coat than other cats in general. My girl (also pedigree) is somewhat on the greasy side too but not due to what your boy seems to be. It's just her coat texture. I haven't ever bothered to give her a bath because while a very well behaved cat, she's not the most cooperative when it comes to being held for any length of time. A bath would be out of the question. No matter, she looks fine anyway, she's just no show cat LOL

Would love to see a photo of your boy!

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This post reminded me of The Girl With Dogs grooming a Maine Coon that had stud tail and I was like what the heck that’s an actual thing?? I’ve never had an intact male or bred cats so this was something I had never even considered.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree it sounds like stud tail, my Maine coon had that issue before he was neutered, it cleared up a few months after he was neutered. It's only really an issue if it cause matting or infection. You can use dawn dish soap but it will dry out the skin, brushing corn starch through it can also be useful to help soak up the excess oils. However what I have seen suggested the most for it is a product called Groomers Goop, it gets rid of the oily build up without damaging the coat or drying out the skin.