Oh No! Bagworms

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About a week and a half ago we noticed the bottom half of our arborvitae tree was turning brown. We both thought it was because of drought so we started watering stuff. This week I discovered these things hanging that looked like small pine cones. After researching online, I have learned they are bagworms. We had wheat planted in the fields next to our house. A farmer at church last night told us the worms probably came into our yard after the wheat was harvested. Has anyone had any experience with how to deal with these worms. I hate to lose this tree as it has taken 8 years to get to a pretty size like it is now. Also it is part of my landscaping at the front of the house and there is one like it on the other end of the house. HELP, if you know how to get rid of them

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an ag extention office in your area? I would contact the nearest Dept. of Agriculture office and ask them. Or next best thing, a local nursery.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I googled Bagworm control and found a bunch of sites. They say something called Talstar or hand picking them off your trees.

I know you will be concerned with using an insecticide as would I be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

I googled Bagworm control and found a bunch of sites. They say something called Talstar or hand picking them off your trees.

I know you will be concerned with using an insecticide as would I be.
I talked with the county extension service. That man recommended a product called Orthene, the active ingredient being acephate. He also said pick off as many as possible. We are going out late this evening and see if we can just pull them off and let them drop. Then we will rake out under the tree and burn everything. It is in our landscaping at the corner of the house by the garage. We will have to rake out the pine straw there too and replace it. We may try spraying it. I hate to, but I hate to lose that tree too. It is brown about one third the way up in front. I hope it is not too late to do something so the tree can recover,.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One day, I went out and found one of my cedar trees dripping with those little pinecone-looking things. I didn't know what they were, either. It really freaked me out when they started moving and I realized it wasn't the wind. They killed my tree! I hate bagworms!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

One day, I went out and found one of my cedar trees dripping with those little pinecone-looking things. I didn't know what they were, either. It really freaked me out when they started moving and I realized it wasn't the wind. They killed my tree! I hate bagworms!
Yes, they will kill a tree. I am so hoping that we caught these in time for the tree to recover. We spend a lot of time yesterday doing what we were told. I picked them off and let them drop. Then we raked everything out from under the tree and burned it. Hubby is going to get the recommended spray and spray the tree because the extension agent said we would not be able to see the ones that had hatched out and were starting their new hiding places, whatever you call those little bag things. But the wind is blowing today and he will have to catch a still day. In the meantime we can pick off what we see. Everybody cross fingers and send prayers for my tree.