Oh Let's Say Something Clever... Hi!!!!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started this profile a long time ago. I don't even really remember why.
Cut to the chase; I am a long time multi-cat cohabitant.
My husband is the cat lady...er person.
I was most likely seeking advice on something but but specialized websites can be unfriendly so I probably got scared.
We have been low income most of the time. We started with one cat and ended up with a nightmare situation. We couldn't afford a spay. The low income spay offered in our area was still $50 and outside of our price range but we didn't qualify.
We tried so many kind ways to keep that cat indoors and she was smart and fast. After taking a litter of kittens to the local shelter we learned from a neighbor that our local shelter was in the habit of killing pretty much everything.
Our fear of that situation made our problem worse. Our fear was confirmed a few years ago by a shelter employee who was defending their "system".
This February a police officer showed up at my house because of the cats. I was more relieved than upset and actually she was really kind. She wasn't there to judge me, write tickets or anything else. She asked if I needed assistance and informed me that our county had joined a national coalition and was now a full on no kill shelter. Additionally they provide free spay and neuter with a free rabies shot to all owned and feral cats that are not being surrendered.
This was like a chorus of angels to my ears!
The problem in the house is now under control, I have ferals and strays outside. I am going to need some advice on live trapping.
I hope people will be kind.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We have a lot of friendly, knowledgeable cat owners here, so you should be able to get lots of good info about live trapping and make some friends as well.

See you around! :hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We have a lot of friendly, knowledgeable cat owners here, so you should be able to get lots of good info about live trapping and make some friends as well.

See you around! :hellocomputer:
I hope so. I would like to get the ferals altered while the number is still somewhat low. Right now I have 5 wild kittens running around outside with 3 moms and 3 toms looking after them. I can't catch any with my hands except for 2 toms and 1 mom.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WELCOME! No judgment here. Just lots of folks loving cats. You did the best you could with what you had. There is an entire forum on here about strays and ferals, and how best to help them, with LOTS of very knowledgeable folks checking in on a regular basis. Caring for Strays and Ferals That should help you get started, as well as the articles in this section: Ferals & Rescue | The Cat Site . Myself, I've been trying to find a TNR in my area for months now, and the ferals around my apartment complex are breaking my heart. Again,

WELCOME!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WELCOME! No judgment here. Just lots of folks loving cats. You did the best you could with what you had. There is an entire forum on here about strays and ferals, and how best to help them, with LOTS of very knowledgeable folks checking in on a regular basis. Caring for Strays and Ferals That should help you get started, as well as the articles in this section: Ferals & Rescue | The Cat Site . Myself, I've been trying to find a TNR in my area for months now, and the ferals around my apartment complex are breaking my heart. Again,

WELCOME!
I took a look at it. I haven't found anything yet. I may have to post a question when I am ready to trap.
Last night our primary breeder, dubbed Mama, showed up; still pregnant but her milk is starting and her body was contracted. We gathered her into a cage last night.
It worked well with her last litter but I was still struggling with transportation to and from the clinic so we couldn't get her spayed in time to prevent another.
She came to our home as an unfriendly stray, dropping 3 litters under my neighbor's house before bringing number 3 over to our house when they were 3 or 4 weeks old.
Of her first litter one remains, I call him Oppa. Second litter was mostly girls. The male from that litter loves to be cuddled. He and Oppa are getting neutered next week. The girls; two allowing petting and two do not. Third litter, got altered; the male disappeared and the female lives in my bedroom. Fourth litter, we were able to cage her and keep her in the shop. Kittens 100% socialized and also altered. I didn't want to do it this way but she is sweet and knows people are helpful. If she drops her babies before Tuesday I will take them for surrender. I have an appointment that day to surrender 2+.
Surrenders are by appointment only right now and because they were flooded with kittens in the late spring appointments are 2 months out. Right now weather conditions are bad for keeping her outside in a cage and the shop is infested with fleas. We are working on that bu the flea numbers could kill the kittens and she is a good mom. it would break her heart.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you need a quick and cheap way to deflea hard surfaces, sprinkle with Twenty Mule Team Borax, wait a few hours, and vacuum thoroughly. I did the whole flea infestation thing awhile back, and that really helped. Also, keep a little borax in the vacuum bag to kill the ones you vacuum up.