Odd Litter Box Behavior?

PirateQuack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my cat is just over a year old and I've noticed a strange pattern in her litter box usage. When she goes in to pee, she always turns around and sticks her head out. While when she goes to poop, she doesn't. This will occasionally mean her butt isn't all the way in the box and that I have to clean up after her. But I'm not really sure if there is something I can do about her overhang. Any advice or suggestions?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Cats can have quirky litter box habits, my Ruby girl included. She stands when she pees, backed up against the end of the litter box, therefore, sometimes urine would leak over the side onto the floor. A larger box, with higher sides solved the problem. So look into getting a bigger litter box.

Here's a TCS article with more info:
What's The Largest Cat Litter Box (and Why Your Cat Needs It)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy, Link, does the same thing. A large and high box works wonderfully 99% of the time. For that other 1% having a litter box mat that is easy to clean and at least six inches larger is a must. Keep a good cleaner, I use Nature's Miracle, on hand to make sure the accidents are well cleaned.