Nutro supposedly limited ingredient food - court case

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CHICAGO — A federal court in Illinois ruled express warranty claims against Mars Petcare US may proceed. Plaintiffs allege they purchased the company’s Nutro Limited Ingredient Diets pet food because they were marketed as containing no corn, wheat, soy or chicken, but a Q-PCR DNA analysis of the products found they contained “‘significant amounts of these ingredients.’”

https://www.courthousenews.com/dog-food-5/

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If one takes a look at any of the Nutro LID dog foods on the Nutro web site, the description clearly states this: "Trace amounts of grains or genetically modified material might be present due to potential cross contact during manufacturing." Isn't the same statement also listed on the package? The legal document has no mention of this yet points out the LID foods being marketed as having "no corn, wheat, or soy" and "the dog foods “avoid ingredients that commonly cause food sensitivities in pets.” "

I feel like this is no different from a person who sues because they have a peanut allergy and ate cookies that did not contain peanuts but were processed in a facility that also processes peanuts and the cookie package has a statement indicating this. It's not the cookie manufacturer's fault that the person didn't read the label to make sure the cookies were peanut-free and made in a peanut-facility.

:2cents:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my reading of the articles this isn't about no grains, it is about a product that is, for example, supposed to have no chicken, but does. This does make a difference if your pet is allergic to chicken. Here is another article about it.

"According to the lawsuit, the Nutro food was marketed as having 10 or fewer "key ingredients" per bag, and containing no chicken, wheat or soy. However, they allege that genetic testing revealed more than trace amounts of chicken, wheat and soy in the products they purchased. "

I take marketed to mean that it's label as it is marketed. Perhaps, I'm naive.