Nursing Mother Killed By Car, One Kitten Found, Search Help

Drewe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Earlier today, a veterinarian that works with my wife recovered a kitten from the road where the mother, who was moving the kitten, was struck by a car and killed.

The kitten was brought into the emergency hospital and is doing well. I'm estimating that the kitten is about 7 weeks old.

I suspect there are siblings still out there, and I am gathering some help to search for them tomorrow (Monday, 4/17). Since we know the place where the mother was struck, I am hoping we can use that information to form a search grid, but I am not able to find any information about how far mothers carry their kittens.

The mother was struck earlier today (Easter Sunday). I am hoping that any remaining kittens will be noisy enough to be located since they will not have eaten for at least 24 hours when the search kicks off.

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions about where to search, how to search, and perhaps even whether to search. :-/

Thank you so much for your help.

-Drew

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens will not have been carried far. It is difficult for a mom cat to carry a 7-week-old cat. Kittens should weigh close to 2 pounds at that age, which is heavy. Are you sure the kitten is that age?

Hopefully the kittens will be on one or both sides of the road, depending on if there are more and how many, and how many mom may have moved. I doubt the kittens will have strayed far either if there are more. They would be waiting for their mother. Check in ditches and underbrush in the general vicinity.

You should bring a crate to put any kittens in, a blanket, and food - formula and wet cat food.

I wish you good luck, and please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drewe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi sarthur2. The age is an estimate based on prior bottle babies, but I could be wrong. Eyes are open and (s)he responds to visual stimuli. (s)he is slightly larger than a handful. Here is a photo of the kitten tucked in my jacket. I don't have a better size reference photo, but maybe that will help. (s)he weighed 24 ounces.

(s)he does have a respiratory infection and is sneezing. That's why the face is a little crusty.

kitten2.jpg

kitten1.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I would say about 6 weeks old. Has she been started on an antibiotic for the URI?

Have any further kittens been found?

It's wonderful that you are searching today!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mother wouldn't have been carrying the kitten---usually at that age they all follow her like ducklings. So the other kittens (if there were others) probably scattered, and are either in the area or ran back to where they were raised. All you really can do is to put food and traps out, or maybe ask residents in the area to call if they see any kittens.

But also, raising kittens in "the wild" is dangerous and most kittens don't live very long :(. So that may be the only surviving kitten of the litter.

Drewe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I would say about 6 weeks old. Has she been started on an antibiotic for the URI?

Have any further kittens been found?

It's wonderful that you are searching today!
I spent the morning out there searching, but it's the worst possible place. Unkempt yards with alleys between them, stacked with all sorts of materials and rubbish, and of course I can't go on private property.

The local Associated Humane folks came and helped me search, and the local rescue from about a mile away from where mom was located are also aware.

In the process of searching, I spotted this guy in a trash pile. I think it may be the father based on similarities to the kitten that was recovered.

nearby_cat.jpg

Drewe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mother wouldn't have been carrying the kitten---usually at that age they all follow her like ducklings. So the other kittens (if there were others) probably scattered, and are either in the area or ran back to where they were raised. All you really can do is to put food and traps out, or maybe ask residents in the area to call if they see any kittens.

But also, raising kittens in "the wild" is dangerous and most kittens don't live very long :(. So that may be the only surviving kitten of the litter.
Ah, okay. The story I was told was that she was seen carrying the kitten. It's not a first person account, so you may very well be correct.

Unfortunately, the Associated Humane folks don't want to put traps because of the rats, raccoons, and opossum in the area. It's not quite "concrete jungle" but it's not far from it either. Residents were not very friendly or helpful. It is not a nice neighborhood.

This is the area where mom's body was located.
Google Maps

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All you can do is look, which you and others did. It sounds like a sad neighborhood with lots of strays. Poor nursing mom was probably a stray. This little kitten you saved is very lucky!

Thanks for trying!

Who is adopting the kitten?