Nursing momma with Coronavirus

Ash25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a stray cat and it turns out she was pregnant. She had 8 kittens about a month ago and was losing a lot of weight and chronic diarrhea. It turns out she has feline corona virus. I’ve been concerned about FIP. She recently developed a pouch on her lower abdomen but I can’t tell if it’s due to breastfeeding or a distended abdomen.
4735A13E-46F7-4045-B08C-B81EB22F6717.jpeg
D5FD5E52-C0DD-4CD9-B083-D10BC78616E3.jpeg
AECB2415-9AE2-4219-84C2-BCB359949020.jpeg
44134642-CA89-4DFC-80CC-E2F566D23243.jpeg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has she seen a vet? Do you know what kind of test for coronavirus it was? Did they do a titer? Most cats will test positive at a low level on the titer. That doesn't necessarily mean it is FIP. She does look very thin. Can you supplement the babies with KMR and bottle feed if needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ash25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She saw a vet last week. They did a diarrhea panel and told me she has feline coronavirus. They told me about FIP but never said she had it. They just told me it could happen. But i’ve been noticing symptoms as weight loss and the pouch on her belly. I’m weaning the kittens so they get formula as well they are about to be 5 weeks old. But I am very concerned about her developing FIP.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did they instruct you to do anything else? Was she checked for parasites when they checked the fecal for coronavirus? Did they send out a fecal PCR?
I am sorry you are going through this.
if it is FIP, there is a Facebook group called FIP warriors. I suggest you join them.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a kitten pass from FIP. It's not controllable whether a cat who has or has had coronavirus - whether it will ever mutate into FIP. Some cats it never mutates and they live a long healthy life. How is momma cat acting? I'm sure she's not at 100% since she has diarrhea and such. I know she's lost weight - does she have an appetite or no? Energy level? Playful? Were you given anything to help with the diarrhea?

Ash25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They did blood panel, Fecal PCR, and Diarrhea panel. I thought she had parasites but the only thing that came back positive was that she has coronavirus.

Ash25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a kitten pass from FIP. It's not controllable whether a cat who has or has had coronavirus - whether it will ever mutate into FIP. Some cats it never mutates and they live a long healthy life. How is momma cat acting? I'm sure she's not at 100% since she has diarrhea and such. I know she's lost weight - does she have an appetite or no? Energy level? Playful? Were you given anything to help with the diarrhea?
She’s a pretty calm cat. It’s hard to tell a difference because I recently adopted her 3 months ago and she was pregnant for 2 of them and been nursing for the other 1. For a while she had a huge increase of appetite but I assume it’s due to the nursing or the kittens. For a couple of days she refused to eat but it turns out she didn’t like the diet plan the ver prescribed her with. He gave me a prescription for a different food and she’s been eating well. A little more than I think would be usual but she still is breastfeeding. They sent her Tylosin Suspension and FortFlora/Advita. She still has diarrhea with a mix of some hard stool in it though.

Ash25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they instruct you to do anything else? Was she checked for parasites when they checked the fecal for coronavirus? Did they send out a fecal PCR?
I am sorry you are going through this.
if it is FIP, there is a Facebook group called FIP warriors. I suggest you join them.
They did blood panel, Fecal PCR, and Diarrhea panel. I thought she had parasites but the only thing that came back positive was that she has coronavirus.