Novel protein dry food storage and hydration question

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of dry food for cats due to dehydration issues but I need to do a novel protein test diet.

One of my kitties is allergic to just about every common protein. Chicken, beef and salmon are all out. In the past she would have no symptoms except getting a raging ear infection after several weeks of eating the new food. No barfing, no weird poops, no itching, no hair loss. For nearly a year she was in and out of the vet's office literally every 6-8 weeks as we figured out it wasn't going to go away permanently and tried different diets. She's get sick and have to go on antibiotics, we'd try something else and be right back at square one six weeks later.

She has been on Merrick limited ingredient duck wet food for three years now with no ear infections but has recently started getting bald patches on her side and belly. I need to put her on another novel protein for a few months to see if she's become allergic to her food again or it's something else.

I found several bags of Blue Buffalo Alligator at Grocery Outlet for about 1/4th what they cost at the pet store and want to put her on it for the test, but the bags have a best by date that's up in a month. If I freeze the bags how long will they keep? What can I do to make sure she gets enough water?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Freezing would definitely;y extend the life of the food, just don't get too much in case it doesn't work. Best buy dates mean it is at it's freshest by that date, but is still good for much longer. Almost all foods are good past the best by date. 'Use by' a certain date means it does start to deteriorate after that date given. Have you tried rabbit? it is much more common. Or how about lamb or goat?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found several bags of Blue Buffalo Alligator at Grocery Outlet for about 1/4th what they cost at the pet store and want to put her on it for the test, but the bags have a best by date that's up in a month.

Is that one of those places that sell close to expiring foods for cheap?

Blue Buffalo has the alligator in a canned version: Natural Veterinary Diet™

Have you tried rabbit or venison or lamb or pork? How about kangaroo? Is a raw or home cooked diet an option?

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not a fan of dry food for cats due to dehydration issues but I need to do a novel protein test diet.

One of my kitties is allergic to just about every common protein. Chicken, beef and salmon are all out. In the past she would have no symptoms except getting a raging ear infection after several weeks of eating the new food. No barfing, no weird poops, no itching, no hair loss. For nearly a year she was in and out of the vet's office literally every 6-8 weeks as we figured out it wasn't going to go away permanently and tried different diets. She's get sick and have to go on antibiotics, we'd try something else and be right back at square one six weeks later.

She has been on Merrick limited ingredient duck wet food for three years now with no ear infections but has recently started getting bald patches on her side and belly. I need to put her on another novel protein for a few months to see if she's become allergic to her food again or it's something else.

I found several bags of Blue Buffalo Alligator at Grocery Outlet for about 1/4th what they cost at the pet store and want to put her on it for the test, but the bags have a best by date that's up in a month. If I freeze the bags how long will they keep? What can I do to make sure she gets enough water?
Avoid dry food at all costs. It does much damage to a cat's health long-term; the issue isn't just a lack of moisture.

Research a human-grade raw diet for cats. I'm not saying I have the answer to your cat's allergy issues, but I know that dry food will, in the long run, do more harm than good for your cat. The more species appropriate your cat's diet can be, the less issues he will have in the long run.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you add water to the dry food - will your kitty eat it that way? We had one cat on Hydrolyzed Protein prescription dry - nothing else we tried worked. I would add a tablespoon or two to her dry food (around it, not on it). She would lick up the water the eat the food. I fed her small meals 6 times a day so I could get that water into her. Hated the HP dry, but sometimes there isn't a good alternative that can work for you.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Avoid dry food at all costs. It does much damage to a cat's health long-term; the issue isn't just a lack of moisture.
It can do damage. To state categorically that it will do damage is irresponsible.

Literally millions and millions of cats have lived long, healthy lives on nothing but dry cat food. Can it cause health issues? Sure. But so can a myriad of other things.