Not sure what to do

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I’m going to get to the point since im panicking a bit, my cat ate food that has been left for more than 4 hours, I kept the food sealed (a plate above, and then a plate below, and pressure to make sure no ants get in) I usually keep it like that since they don't finish their dinner, so I show them the food a couple hours apart until I go to bed, and its usually done like that (not sure if this is harmful, tell me if it is) Yesterday, my mother didn’t buy their food, so if they didn’t finish dinner throughout the night, I’d feed it to them in the morning. I got up, and showed them the food, most of them didn’t eat it except one of them, a kitten, he hasn’t gotten an injection yet either. He ate it, and ran off. There wasn’t much, but is this harmful? It’s sealed, but my kitten tries to eat vomit so I wouldn’t put it past him if it was weird, but he was hungry. I literally haven’t though once it may be harmful for him until today, what should I do? They’re going to the vet in 2 days or so

I take care of their food always, and I would get their food if I was able to drive, but I cant, and if this can hurt them in anyway, I’d like to know

The food wasn’t refrigerated, just sealed and kept

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if anyone was wondering, but he’s playing fine and we fed them breakfast when my mom got their food some hours ago. I sealed it tightly and the food didn’t look weird, I won’t continue to do it in-case, but everything seems fine and he’s as hyper as ever.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have left canned food sitting out for up to 8-9 hours - unsealed - and it has never been a problem for Feeby eating it that way. The only thing I have to do is add a bit of water to it to re-moisten it, as she won't eat it if it is drying out. This is in an air conditioned house, so food outdoors in the heat probably should not stay out that long.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I leave food out in a can with a lid on it for over 12 hours and had no issues. My house is air conditioned too. I think that is the real issue, how hot and humid it is where you are. Where I am , it's very hot and dry, but inside (where the food is, it's pretty cool. Not cold like the fridge though ;)