Not Sure What To Do Now..?

coco&pipsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat coco gave birth to 4 kittens this morning at 7:00am-9:00am. She was in labour all night, purring loudly with her mouth open. It is now 10:48pm and she is doing the same thing. Could there be more kittens she haven't birthed yet? I took her in as a feral cat, but before I could catch her I did see her mating with several toms in a 4 day period.. I'm not sure if this could cause an interruption between births? Also, she keeps woundering around my house meowing.. kind of like she is searching for kittens (this is very unusual for her).. any ideas why she is doing this? Is it normal?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess is she isnt done as yet. Possibly she has afterpaings, bbut I think she has someone left. Pauses on hours or even days arent uncommon. So THIS isnt unusual...

Do you have access to a vet IF there wiould be real complications?

How is she doing with the already born kittens? If she hasnt the time nor patience to take care of them, YOU must step in. At least, make sure they have it warm enough (ie active warming up, unless its very warm in your place). But soon they will need food or at least water with some honey in it....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
coco&pipsmama coco&pipsmama

Has she had another kitten yet?

As Stefan said, it's not unusual for a cat to deliver even days later.

However, the after pains feel like labor, and cats still appear lumpy in the tummy until the uterus shrinks back to normal size.

In the meantime, confine her to one room with her food, water, and litter in the room, and close the door so she is with the kittens and not wandering the house. It often takes new, first-time moms a couple of days to settle down after giving birth, as the hormones are in high gear.

Buy a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula (KMR), and give mom a dish a day. This often helps the panting, and meets mom's extra calcium needs.

Are the kittens all nursing well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coco&pipsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice. It's been about 5 days now and no more babies, so I'm assuming she's done. I tried confining her to a room but she focused more on getting out of the room then tending to her babies. She's now in the living room in the original spot she gave birth and seems content. Momma is doing good and babies are growing. :)