Not sure if this is the right place for help, but see attached

jamz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_0197.jpg

This developed overnight on our outdoor cat. We have an appointment with the vet, but not till Monday. Any advice? Its affecting her left eye, wit hswelling and some bleeding. Appreciate any response.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t see any picture. But if this is something to do with the eye, it can’t wait till Monday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Ok i see the photo now. This needs immediate veterinary care. I would try different vets and find one that can get him in today. That looks so painful.
Thanks, unfortunately we are in a rural area and there is nothign until Monday. Appreciate the response. I thought it was maybe ringworm, given how fast it came on.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you send a copy of this picture to your vet? If not, I really think you should and ask again about the appointment and at least to be called if someone cancels.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look like ringworm to me. It looks extremly angry though.

If he is outdoor it could litteraly be anything. Maybe he got under the hood of a car or got into a chemical, it almost looks like a burn.

jamz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you send a copy of this picture to your vet? If not, I really think you should and ask again about the appointment and at least to be called if someone cancels.
Not yet, but will likely do so. It appeaed really quick overnight, so it cold be an injury rather than a health condition.

jamz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It doesn't look like ringworm to me. It looks extremly angry though.

If he is outdoor it could litteraly be anything. Maybe he got under the hood of a car or got into a chemical, it almost looks like a burn.
From what I can tell online, it does have several possibilities and that the vet should diagnose it. Just really worried as it appeared overnight.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With him being an outdoor cat I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it actually being a burn.. it can be a number of things especially with him being an outdoor kitty.. with how it looks and I can only imagine the pain he must be in he really should be seen by a vet like sooner rather than later.
Let us know what you find out

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any ER vets near you? I wouldn't rule out getting hit by something either. Car/tractor... getting too close to a fire pit - or quite frankly a cruel person. Being outdoors - anything goes sadly.

Swelling on the head eye area like that can be quite dangerous.

I completely understand being in a rural area makes it harder for treatment. As K Kflowers suggested - if you can - send an image to the Vet. The very well could change their tune about seeing kitty right away.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry this happened to your cat. 😿 As other members have said it looks very painful and I completely agree you need to seek medical treatment for her sooner rather than later even if you have to travel to find another vet. If you can't get her to an ER I'm afraid the area around her eye will become more severely infected. Can you try calling your vet again and explain that it's an emergency?
We will keep our fingers crossed.:crossfingers: Please keep us updated on her progress.

jamz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With him being an outdoor cat I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it actually being a burn.. it can be a number of things especially with him being an outdoor kitty.. with how it looks and I can only imagine the pain he must be in he really should be seen by a vet like sooner rather than later.
Let us know what you find out
Thanks for reply, see update below

jamz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry this happened to your cat. 😿 As other members have said it looks very painful and I completely agree you need to seek medical treatment for her sooner rather than later even if you have to travel to find another vet. If you can't get her to an ER I'm afraid the area around her eye will become more severely infected. Can you try calling your vet again and explain that it's an emergency?
We will keep our fingers crossed.:crossfingers: Please keep us updated on her progress.
Thanks for reply. Update below.

jamz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, so got her to the vet. Vet is not sure what happened, but puts money on a scratch or puncture wound of some kind. We may never know. However, she received an antibiotic shot and topical cream and we have been keeping her isolated indoors. She has scratched off the scab and has a really nasty looking wound, but she is her normal self and it appears just to be itchy to her. She is eating and I am going to get a cone for her so she can get some healing time in without scratching. Appreciate everyones feedback, and she looks like she is going to be ok. Probably a scar and the hair is likely not going to grow back. Guess we may never know what really happened.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, so got her to the vet. Vet is not sure what happened, but puts money on a scratch or puncture wound of some kind. We may never know. However, she received an antibiotic shot and topical cream and we have been keeping her isolated indoors. She has scratched off the scab and has a really nasty looking wound, but she is her normal self and it appears just to be itchy to her. She is eating and I am going to get a cone for her so she can get some healing time in without scratching. Appreciate everyones feedback, and she looks like she is going to be ok. Probably a scar and the hair is likely not going to grow back. Guess we may never know what really happened.
Thank you so much for the update. I'm glad you got her to the vet and they gave her some antibiotics.
And it's OK to never know what happened.. what matters is that she is getting better ❤ 😺