Not sure how serious this is

CasualPhionex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So a few days ago i noticed a small sore on my cats upper left lip. Shes a little over a year old. And i had called the vet nearby but the first opening they have is Aug 19th, i had scheduled an appointment.
But i was wondering, do i call somewhere else to take her sooner? Is this a serious condition?
She seems to be eating and drinking normally still, but im trying to figure out if i should be more concerned and take her somewhere sooner rather than later.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me being a worry wart, I would prolly go somewhere else sooner or call and ask them to fit you in sooner. I am not sure what that is. Is the kitty in pain?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CasualPhionex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me being a worry wart, I would prolly go somewhere else sooner or call and ask them to fit you in sooner. I am not sure what that is. Is the kitty in pain?
She doesnt seem to be. But i dont know if its bad just cuase this is still in an early stage or not.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might send a pic of that sore to your vet, just so they can see what you are seeing. Then, ask them if they have a process whereby you could be contacted if there is a cancellation in order to get in earlier. Any friends/family members/neighbors/co-workers have cats that you could ask about contacting their vet to see about an earlier appointment.

Plastic food/water dishes can cause sores like that. The plastic, despite being thoroughly washed, can harbor bacteria over time. So, if you are using plastic, get some stainless steel or ceramic dishes instead. This, among other conditions, like allergies for example, can cause what they call rodent ulcers - but they have nothing to do with rodents at all. Here is an article about them, if you are not familiar with what they are.
Cat Rodent Ulcer: Diagnosis and Treatment | Ask The Cat Doctor

CasualPhionex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might send a pic of that sore to your vet, just so they can see what you are seeing. Then, ask them if they have a process whereby you could be contacted if there is a cancellation in order to get in earlier. Any friends/family members/neighbors/co-workers have cats that you could ask about contacting their vet to see about an earlier appointment.

Plastic food/water dishes can cause sores like that. The plastic, despite being thoroughly washed, can harbor bacteria over time. So, if you are using plastic, get some stainless steel or ceramic dishes instead. This, among other conditions, like allergies for example, can cause what they call rodent ulcers - but they have nothing to do with rodents at all. Here is an article about them, if you are not familiar with what they are.
Cat Rodent Ulcer: Diagnosis and Treatment | Ask The Cat Doctor
In my googling i did see that was a thing. I think my bowls are metal, but now im looking at them they may actually be plastic with a "metal" finish

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You might send a pic of that sore to your vet, just so they can see what you are seeing. Then, ask them if they have a process whereby you could be contacted if there is a cancellation in order to get in earlier.
:yeah: I completely agree, send the pic to your vet and if you don't hear back then I would suggest contacting another vet.

Here is an Article about skin conditions in cats which discusses some of the symptoms that can cause a systemic health issue:
Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

CasualPhionex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah: I completely agree, send the pic to your vet and if you don't hear back then I would suggest contacting another vet.

Here is an Article about skin conditions in cats which discusses some of the symptoms that can cause a systemic health issue:
Skin Conditions In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Well i sent them an email, and they wont even look at a picture, just told me to look somewhere else. Now im tempted to cancel my appointment and no go there at all.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well i sent them an email, and they wont even look at a picture, just told me to look somewhere else. Now im tempted to cancel my appointment and no go there at all.
Look for an appointment elsewhere and then cancel the one in August. It may be the holiday period where you live and it is difficult to get an earlier appointment anywhere. Good luck.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But you might as well change the bowl. You won't lose anything by doing that.

CasualPhionex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Look for an appointment elsewhere and then cancel the one in August. It may be the holiday period where you live and it is difficult to get an earlier appointment anywhere. Good luck.
That was the problem at the 2nd place i called. Out for a week or so for summer vacation.

CasualPhionex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But you might as well change the bowl. You won't lose anything by doing that.
I ended up ordering another bowl. I also noticed that the water fountain i have. The bowl on top has like a grate around the edges fo rthe water to flow back down. And between those was pretty dirty, which i imagine wasnt helping anything. So i at least cleaned really really good between all those. I'm hoping if that was the cause it will at least stop her mouth from getting worse for now.

CasualPhionex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is the water fountain plastic?
Yes, but i think the bigger problem was, there is plastic grating around the outside edge, and between the grating was VERY dirty. But after deep cleaning it this weekend, 2 days later the problem spot looks MUCH better. So im thinking it was probably that. Which is good cause 2 other vets i called were also unavailable.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am always, always for cleaning in the hopes of making things better. Glad to hear it's helping. It's terrible the way stuff like that can hide and the instructions never say check this or that every so often.

CasualPhionex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am always, always for cleaning in the hopes of making things better. Glad to hear it's helping. It's terrible the way stuff like that can hide and the instructions never say check this or that every so often.
Yeah, and while looking for a new top part (didnt find one) but the new version of the same fountain doesnt have the grate part, the top is totally different. and im thinking maybe thats partially why